_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
V-106 Torpedo Boat
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 11:52 AM UTC
MSW Crew-mate Jay Massey (treadhead1952) gives us a closer look at Mirage Hobby's 1/400 scale plastic Injection mold kit, V-106 Torpedo Boat, in this "inbox" review!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 02:11 PM UTC
Very cool. I may just have to add this to my WWI stash. Thanks Jay.

Kenny
wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:32 AM UTC
where can I pick this up at?
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 01:11 AM UTC
Very nice indeed. I will have to add this one to my "paper" stash.

Thank you Jay!

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:57 AM UTC
I've been wondering about this kit for awhile, so I'm glad to read your review, Jay. To me, there is one Low: the scale. It would have been nice if it was 1/350 instead of the smaller 1/400. Ah well, I'll probably get one sometime anyway.

Speaking of the paper model, I've built it...

It was a quick gift for my father, so I didn't go crazy on it. It was also a couple years ago, so the pictures aren't great.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
Ahoy Mates,

Ya'll are most wecome for the review.

Even though Mirage likes the smaller 1/400 scale the kits that they produce are quite inexpensive and do yield a pretty nice build if one takes ones time. Things like the 1/350 scale figure sets that are out now work with this scale, the figures would be more like 5'11" tall for the most part. The fact that they produce their own brass PE for each makes it an even greater value, I haven't really found anything wrong or any problems working with the set for the ORP Wicher project that I currently have happening.

As to availability, Squadron Mail Order carries their line and quite often puts various ones on sale. I picked up the ORP Wicher for $7.99 as well as the V 106 on sale. The brass PE sets go for about double or a little more than what the kits do.

Dade, heck of a job on the paper model!

There are a number of free downloads on Digital Navys' site so if anyone would like to give it a trry about the only real cost involved is the paper and ink from your printer plus some Elmers' White Glue. It is quite the popular hobby over in Europe and I have seen some magnificent results on some of their sites. In some cases you would be hard pressed to tell a paper kit from a styrene one just by pictures or the model alone.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:04 AM UTC
Great review Jay... I have both in my stash and couple other I keep getting in the Squadron monthly sles for $7-8 USD. Cant beat that price! Seems every month a few Mirage's are on their sell list...

Now I have to start accumulating the PE : ) Thanks again! cheers
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is quite the popular hobby over in Europe and I have seen some magnificent results on some of their sites. In some cases you would be hard pressed to tell a paper kit from a styrene one just by pictures or the model alone.

Very true. I have a bunch of really nice paper models including some 1/25 scale tanks that have engines, full interiors, etc. To have this in plastic would cost a lot more than the $15 or $20 I spent on the paper versions. The build ups are spectacular but I haven't had the time to build my own. I also have a gorgeous 1/250 USS Maine that I've been trying like mad to find the PE set for without paying (literally) $30 to ship from Europe (it was gonna be my pre-dread build, but ah well).

BTW, if anyone chooses to build these, try Uhu's dedicated glue as it won't soften up the paper (that should be sealed anyway) and won't leave "strings", as Elmer's is sometimes wont to do. Elmer's makes a dedicated paper craft glue, but I have mixed feelings on it.

Quoted Text

Things like the 1/350 scale figure sets that are out now work with this scale, the figures would be more like 5'11" tall for the most part.

Depending on the maker, some of those figures will be taller- closer to about 6' 5" (my height). But hey, since these are Germanic people, it works out.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 03:05 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip on the Uhu Dade. I printed out a couple of paper ones to try out but converted them to styrene instead. I did make up a Mig 17 flyable one, more just to see if it would actually work. When I printed it out, I used a manilla file folder to print it on as a heavier stock than sheet paper. Much to my surprise, it actually did fly under rubberband propulsion.

I do have one "real" paper model from GPM that I got through a Canadian supplier that I am saving for when I get to feeling particularly masochistic, that was what clued me into using a heavier stock, they call them "card" models for a reason I suppose.

You are most welcome James, at those prices it is hard to say no to any sort of a ship kit, I agree. Sqaudrons' stock of PE for these kits is sort of spotty, have to snag them when they get some stock. When I bought mine I was only able to get two destroyer sets and had to wait a couple months for them to restock for the V-106 and ORP Kaszub. But as I pointed out, they definitely do make the model. I have not found any problems with the set I am using on the ORP Wicher, the brass is of good quality and stands up well to my usual "treadheaded" methods of employment.
 _GOTOTOP