_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Camouflage Decals for USS Buchanan?
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 06:30 PM UTC
Can someone please tell me if I've been dreaming? I thought I saw that someone was making a set of decals for the hull camouflage on DML's 1/350 USS Buchanan kit. Can someone set me straight? And if I wasn't dreaming, could you please direct me to the source? Thanks!

Brian
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can someone please tell me if I've been dreaming? I thought I saw that someone was making a set of decals for the hull camouflage on DML's 1/350 USS Buchanan kit. Can someone set me straight? And if I wasn't dreaming, could you please direct me to the source? Thanks!

Brian

Hi Brian!

Decals?...well, mate, I haven't heard of Camo decals for this fine kit, but I have heard of the set of paint mask from Gators Masks and More that will aid you in reproducing the Camo Measure on your build...

~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi Brian,

To add to what Gunny has said, I do make a set of vinyl paint masks to replicate the Measure 12 Mod for the USS Buchanan. The mask is cut out of high quality paint mask vinyl, the same used by custom auto paint shops. You can visit my site by clicking on the Gator's Masks banner below.

Kenny
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 05:32 PM UTC
Thanks Kenny. After reading the replies to my question it occurred to me that your masks were exactly what I had seen -- not decals.

While visiting your site I checked out the Amphibious masks (APD's). Any chance that you may produce these in 1/350 scale? Also the link to the USS Buchanan masks seems to be broken. Any chance you could provide me with an image?

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help.

Brian
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 05:23 AM UTC
Here's the image Brian. It's the camouflage as seen in the Dragon kit. I don't have a link to the Buchanan camouflage and the US Navy took all their camouflage images off line.

Kenny
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 04:52 AM UTC
Thanks Kenny. Any idea why the navy took the WWII images off line?

Brian
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 06:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian

If I recall it had to do with bandwidth. The images were really large and the site was getting slower when more pictures were added. So, they decided to remove a few.

TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I recall it had to do with bandwidth. The images were really large and the site was getting slower when more pictures were added. So, they decided to remove a few.

Right on the first sentence, wrong on the second. People were linking directly to the images so as to "embed" them in other web pages, such as forums or just web sites discussing particular ships. That behavior was sucking their bandwidth and is why they removed the main images. This is also why you can't link to a Navsource image; they put protections in place to prevent it. They have a little more flexibility than the NHC does, however.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian

I'll have them all back up eventually Brian. I have all the images that were there, it's just a matter of uploading and replacing the links.

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP