_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Playing with Tarantulas
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 01:01 PM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates,

Hard on the heels of my first Mirage kit effort with the ORP Wicher, I have decided to take a little smaller effort with a much simpler kit from the same manufacturer, the Hiddensee Tarantula I kit in 1/400 scale.

It is a lot smaller as far as parts count goes but does share some of the same niceties as well as suffer from a few of the same illnesses. The destructions have you build the accompanying base first. The two end stand parts had some serious ejector pin issues which I sanded smooth first off. The crossbar had a bit of a problem with an uneven side from sinkage when the tree cooled after being molded so I used the same sanding sticks to sand it down flat then smooth it out. The litle hull was all right as far as any sort of issues and once I cleaned the sprue connection spots up and ran its gluing surfaces over a bit of 400 grit paper to guarantee that they were flat; glued together nicely with some liquid Testors cement applied with a brush from the inside.

The main deck has some nice detailing with hatch covers, a breakwater, capstans, anchor chain and the bases for the chaff dispensers and other bits and bobs. When I dry fit the two parts together, I thought that this is gonna be way too easy. So much for my thoughts. I wound up with a gap all the way around the edge that needed some filling.. Not satisfied with that fit issue I decided that I would also glue the fantail bit that has the two hatch covers on there that are prominent parts of the real ship. I am glad that I did, there was also a gap around that part. At the deck edge on the fantail is a small box shape that was the only thing that prevented sanding the edge easily so I used a nice sharp and new #11 blade to remove the part before I masked the whole thing up to leave as little of an area to have to apply putty to as possible. This would preserve all that lovely detail and making it much easier to whittle down my putty lines. After sanding most of the putty off with the masking tape still in place, I worked at it until I could see a white line with the gray color of the plastic on either side of it, I removed the tape and finished sanding it smooth. The real ship is pretty much seamless in that area so I had to do something there. Once the sanding chores were done, I glued the small box shape right back where I had removed it from on the fantail. The portholes below the deck edge were a little shallow after all my efforts so I used a drill and pinvise to deepen them a bit, not going all the way through.

The bridge details are molded onto two side panels and a front panel. While the details mostly consist of two doors on one side and a square raised area with a single door on the other side panel with a similar square patch up high aft of the small side windows, the real ship has a bit more than that.

As a matter of fact, looking at the pictures of the real ship that is at Battleship Cove parked next to the USS Lionfish, it would seem that Mirage missed a rather prominent bit of structure in front of the bridge. There is a single story section in the front of the bridge that they completely missed molding onto the kit parts. While it appears as extensions of the sidepanels in the instructions in section III and in a later drawing on the destructions in section VIII it sort of magically appears since it is not mentioned anywhere else. Oh well, doing a bit of research has saved working it over after the fact so to speak, I can go ahead and make up the needed parts from scratch while it is in such an early stage of construction. Perhaps this may be one of the reasons that this kit was on sale for the princely sum of only $4.59 at Squadron.

It always pays to do a bit of surfin', er, research when you decide to start one of these things. Most subjects, whether they be ships, planes, armor or even figures have found a place on the web somewhere. Just typing the name or class or model into the search box on your homepage will usually reveal more than a few places to locate pictures or drawings of the real deal or even build articles or completed models. Finding a goof like this one is a fluke in most modern day kits. Companies spend a lot of time and effort to turn out well done kits but stuff does happen and when it does, you just have to do a bit more to come up with a solution.

Well, I am back to work on this as wellas the weathering and oil paint washes dry on the ORP Wicher, I will be finishing that one up and adding the photos in a day or two to the build article as well as posting more on this little wonder as I work out the details and see if there is any more little engineering oddities to have to deal with.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 01:29 AM UTC
Nice Project, Mr. Massey!
We'll be watching, my friend...
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 01:47 AM UTC
When I saw the title I thought spiders!!

Look like an interesting build so far.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 03:18 AM UTC
Very interesting subject Jay. Looking forward to seeing more.

Kenny
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2008 - 12:56 PM UTC
Thanks Mates,

While not being much into modern day ships, to me for the most part they look like a bunch of boxes slapped on some interesting hull forms, this one looked more like one of the old line ships with the gun turrets and missle launchers slapped on there. Mirage has a few different ones from I's to II's to III's available and the little ships are in service to this day with various navies around the world. I figured it would be hard to go wrong with at least one of them at less than a five dollar bill just to see what they were like.

Being an equal opportunity poster and to make our resident associate editor happy, here ya' go Jim, a nice Mexican Red Leg for your viewing pleasure.

Sorry I couldn't resist
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 08:57 AM UTC
Nice going Jay!! Interesting ships indeed and in 1/400 scale you can put a lot of detail on her. I wonder if there is still one in the USA!?!?! I've built a Dragon Tarantul about a decade ago and when I was looking for photos of them online I did found that there was one in the USA part of a Museum or something. Photos were most helpful indeed.
Here's a photo of a smaller version from yours!!!!

Best regards and keep the good work.

Filipe
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hi Filipe,

Nice looking little Tarantula, it also shows off that missing deckhouse section that I am working on building. Is that one of the Indian Navy ones, they have several still listed in their inventory according to one of the Navy sites I checked out. We still have the Tarantul I that came to the US Navy from Germany when the country reunited, it is parked in Battleship Cove alongside the USS Lionfish and open for visitation. The US Navy used it for various radar and sonar tests in fleet simulations for a time then retired it for museum uses.

In 1/400 scale it comes out to about 5 and 9/16ths inches long and has enough room to add a few things here and there.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry I couldn't resist

Nice photo etch work but the weathering is waaaaaay off.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:00 AM UTC
A tad bit too much rust perhaps?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Jay!

Nice looking Tarantula... the plastic one, of course
Perhaps I am going to follow this blog with (more) interest, and try to catch some of your updates for a smaller sister (like the one Filipe has build!)

Keep on

Rui
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps I am going to follow this blog with (more) interest, and try to catch some of your updates for a smaller sister (like the one Filipe has build!)

I think I still have somewhere here in the mess which I call Office the documentation I used for building my Tarantul. Let me know if you need anything...either printed or in jpeg.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 07:17 AM UTC
another great build blog... looking forward to the rest of the build

just dont include SNAKES ever, please....
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 02:38 PM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates,

Gee James, I suppose I shouldn't include any photos of my pet Boa Constrictor then.......

After studying the needed shape for the front of my deckhouse, I decided the easiest way would be to just make it up from sheet styrene cut to rough shapes, glue them in place a then slap a little putty in there to fill in the edges and shape them to conform to what I want.

I did think about making a solid piece to fit up to the structure, but the angled bits on the corners of the deckhouse made it unlikely that I would be able to get it that close. As it is I did shape the two side panel bits to conform to those angles somewhat. The very front of this extension will have angled corners like that as well. One of those things that they did to make a smaller radar signiture for the ship, you gotta luv stealthy stuff like that. So here are the four pieces that I will be using after cutting them out and sizing them up to the ships' dimensions.

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 04:51 PM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates,

It looks like I may have gotten my hands on a "Friday" late shift kit. In the auto industry a "Friday late shift" job is usually completed on the following Monday and they are also known as lemons. Turns out that there are a number of parts missing from this kit and several of the parts that I have are for other versions. Not that it is going to deter me from turning it out as a Hiddensee Tarantul I like the one the US Navy was gifted with. It just means that I get to stretch my kit bashing muscles a bit.

I made up the extension that went on the front of the deckhouse, filled the edges and whittled it back as I wanted. I did shave off one of the doors on the side so I could add another one a bit further forward to match the photos I found. I also added a few bits of detail from styrene stock shapes and drilled out one of the portholes that I spotted on that side.

When I went to start working on the roof panel for the deckhouse was when I discovered that the parts I got no longer match up with the destruction sheet. It had a circular base for a radar dome that isn't supposed to be there and there are no other parts to fulfill that role so modifying the parts is my only option. That is why you see a hole with a nice round bit of grey plastic in it. The round bit is the leftover part from the base that I sawed off. One of the missing parts is the tower that supports the radar array atop the main mast as well as the flat plate that the radars were supposed to mount to. So it looks like my spider may have bitten me, but it hasn't gotten the best of me yet.

Stay tuned for more.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Jay

This is one of those projects that when you solve one issue, several other pop-up! I like these
Keep up - you're on the right track... cof cof, course!

Rui
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 03:33 AM UTC
Looking good there, I am sure you will recover well, I know I have said this many times, but I really like the Mirage kits, good bang for the buck! cheers
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 02:40 PM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates,

Thanks, I think Rui....

Yes, James, they do offer lots of value, in this particular case it is getting to stretch my kit bashing muscles.

I checked the photos from the Battleship Cove site and looking at the port side views, my model doesn't quite match up to what was there, of course. I marked out the changes in pencil. Shaving off the door that is there is easy enough. The complete upper structure will also get a makeover to resemble what the real ship had. all in all lots of fun!

I printed out some of the online photos that I have discovered to make it easier to work my way through this. Printing them out makes for a much larger view than what is displayed on the screen so I can pick out the details that I want to change.

Stay tuned for further developments.......
 _GOTOTOP