_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Pyro Models?
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 04:47 PM UTC
hello all,
i have found some Pyro models for sale and was hoping that some one knows about the model. it is the CSS Virginia 1/300 scale.
thanks for any help.
cheers,
Bruce
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 05:49 AM UTC
Hi Bruce

I only have one Pyro ship: 1/200 "Santa Catarina do Monte Sinai"
(http://www.epmodels.co.uk/shipkits/pyro_catarina.html" TARGET="_blank">more here about this model)

But I remember seeing other models from Pyro, like the Chinese Junk, and other smaller sailboats... details on the hard side, but when built, with some care could turn into good display models.

Rui

EDIT: More info on your request here:
http://www.epmodels.co.uk/shipkits/pyro_monitor.html
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 06:30 AM UTC
Hi Bruce!

Pyro models were typical of the state of plastic ship modeling in the 1960s: spotty accuracy and non-standard scaling. I believe this company also had the audacity to market their USS Olympia as the Maine by simply throwing in a couple of casement fairings!

That CSS Virginia kit lives on today under the Lindberg label. So, if the price is good, the kit should be okay for your collection.

--Karl
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC
The Pyro Virginia (Merrimac) is an ancient kit, but with some tender loving care a scratchbuilding can probably be made presentable. I would take measurements before declaring scale though (I think that many of those kits were actually "box scale.") As I remember (I haven't had one this century, the weakest part might be the guns, and if I recall, lack of port lids. Now their Monitor is another story, its dimensions are all wrong.

John
grayghost666
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 09:59 AM UTC
hello all,
thanks for the info.the total price with shipping will be $35.00,so i think i will get one of Rusty White's resin kits.better bang for the buck.
sorry i did not get back to all of you sooner.i changed my ISP.
cheers,
Bruce
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hello all,
thanks for the info.the total price with shipping will be $35.00,so i think i will get one of Rusty White's resin kits.better bang for the buck.
sorry i did not get back to all of you sooner.i changed my ISP.
cheers,
Bruce

35 bucks is rather a lot for that kit.

John
grayghost666
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 01:02 PM UTC
hello John,
that is what i thought.with Rusty's kit you get the PE also.i think.and his Civil War Ships are the best out there.i have the USS Winslow i am going to build for the Predread campaign.it is one great kit.
cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP