_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Hasegawa's Akitsushima Seaplane carrier
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:12 AM UTC
I was out doing a little early morning recon and found some updated details for the Hasegawa's Akitsushima Seaplane Carrier mulit-media kit.

Details

Oh the Horror! OK, so I am over reacting. This is a sweet looking ship.

Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:00 AM UTC
I've got one coming to me. It'll be a little while for Hasegawa to get it to my point of contact in Japan and then for him to get it to me... but it's coming. I can't wait!

I'll post a review when it gets here...
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:21 AM UTC
Thanks for spotting that one, I have the 1/700 scale version and that will come in handy for detailing purposes. Now if we can persuade Dade to start his larger scale one up when he gets it I will have even more reference material.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 03:56 AM UTC
Very cool. This is a resin kit, correct? It would be nice to have the flying boat included.

Kenny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Thanks for sharing! Those finished model images are a real teaser, as Jay says, to get my hands on the smaller scale one

Rui
Quincy
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
In Navy Yard #9 there is a photo shoot of the 1/350 Akitsushima as a seaplane tender, and in 1944 as a daihatsu transport.. She looks to have carried 4-6 daihatsu's where her seaplane deck is. I have not yet received my copy to be certain.

I think I'm going to have to get another 1/700 kit of her for the conversion. The daihatsu's are easily obtained in the Skywave equipment sets. I believe the E-5 set from memory.

Bob Pink.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 06:42 AM UTC
Jay, the urge to build this thing when it arrives will be massive, but I'm gonna try to resist long enough to get some of these other projects cleared out first (I swear I'm a 1/700 builder, really!). Of course, this will probably all fly out the window once it arrives, but I'll try...

Kenny, yep she's resin. The Kawanishi Type 2 Mk. 12 (Emily) is included with Hasegawa's early fit 1/350 Yukikaze. I built the Yukikaze and still have the Emily on standby so that when I build the Akitsushima, she'll be carrying her bird.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:05 AM UTC
Dade, one should never resist those urges, that sort of thing leads to stress and other assorted maladies!

Good call on saving the Emily for greater purposes, it is a pretty nice model in its' own right. I am having a hard time not ripping and rending parts from trees, I soothed my savage needs with a Hasegawa 1/72 Emily instead.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:53 PM UTC
I'm truly envious Dade! That is one stunning model. Considering what you get with this multi-media kit, it really isn't any more expensive than the current batch of plastic 350th kits (once you've factored in the cost of PE and turned barrels).

Frank
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:22 AM UTC
It is a killer kit. It looks fantastic and pretty much complete with everything it comes with. Frank you are rigth about the cost, it is on par with a current plastic kit once you ass all the bells and whistles.

I was seriously looking at the Ise and its extras, but will have to put that one on my written stash for now.

_GOTOTOP