_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Memories
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 11:27 AM UTC
Memories of my youth.
Hundreds of Liberty and Victory ships mothballed and moored in the Hudson River along to west shore in New York and New Jersey. Photos from Goggle/LIFE search and taken in 1946. These ships were there in the 60's when the final one was towed off to meet the cutters torch.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hi Dave!

Thanks for sharing this bit of your life with us!
One thing that I have found interesting on the first photo is the different arrangement of the bow/stern gun platforms!!! Each one is different!!
This is a good hint for us doing our research better and better

Again Thank you!
I hope everything is ok (at least better) with you!

Rui

PS: Let's see if next year we can have another breakfast like we did a few years ago
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2008 - 01:19 PM UTC
Hi Dave,

I have been eyeballing a lot of the Life Photos in Google too, they have a lot of amazing stuff in there.

Thanks for snagging some site pertinent ones for our enjoyment. It is sorta cool to see the C2, C3, and C4 class ships all stuffed together like that as well as the deck details that Rui noticed were all sort of catch as catch can as far as layout. I suppose that comes from having the installations done at many different yards and locales depending on what routes the ships were plying in their careers.

It is a shame that they weren't able to keep more of them in better shape, but having so many to care for on limited peacetime budgets was just too much to hope for.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hello Dave, I remember those ships also. It was a big thrill for me to see them back then. There is still an anchor and some chain on the west bank of the Hudson, below Bear Mountain State Park, as a historical marker. Al
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 06:44 AM UTC
Great pics, thanks for sharing!
MARPAT
Visit this Community
Northern Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 101 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 04:28 AM UTC
it is good to see some cool photo's... it is an astonishing site to see all those ships together.. as Rui pointed out they are indeed completely different gun platforms which is quite different. All the best...
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2008 - 01:11 PM UTC
From what I understand, they were several liberty ships and other naval vessels mothballed along the Calcasieu River where I live. There is even an old minesweeper sunk in the river. I would love to see photos of that.

Kenny
 _GOTOTOP