_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
A good way to start the New Year-FREE
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:39 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates,

First off, Happy New Year to one and all. May the year ahead be full of styrene and other media efforts in our favorite subject, things nautical.

I was touring about checking some of my favorite sites this morning and when I got to Digital Navys' site I was pleasantly surprised to find he had added yet another "freebie". The last site update was shown as October 10th, shows you how often I get by there, but it is always worth the time.

The ship in question is a civilian passenger ferry/touring boat named the Lilla Weneda, a sister ship to one that the sites' owner had toured on as a boy. It is in 1/100 scale that yeilds a model 14 inches long when complete. As with the other models he includes several pictures of the finished ship model, construction steps and two zip files that contain the parts sheets and instructions.

If you have yet to try your hand at a paper ship model, I can't think of a better way. Paper modeling is one of the oldest forms of modeling dating back to Egyptian times and the level that the current practitioners of this art form have taken it to is quite astounding, just tour the site and look at some of the completed projects to check it out. There are a number of pages to the site that explain construction techniques so you won't be coming up short by lack of experience as well as other free projects as well as full on ship models that you can purchase. If you want a larger scale model than is currently offered in styrene kit form, this is also a pretty good way to go.

Here is the link to the site:

http://www.digitalnavy.com/index.html
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC
Very nice. Thank you for letting us know. I downloaded the freebie. Now to see if I can get some free time to play around a little.

_GOTOTOP