_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Anchor Chain
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I'm about to embark on building some 1:350 scale ships and was wondering about anchor chain. I'm afraid I have no idea on the size to get. Can anyone help me in terms of what size to get and possibly from where? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joseph
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hi Joseph

It depends on the type of vessel you are making. Some PE sets bring some PE anchor chain, which looks flat, but you can built it up... There are also after market mail chain, that you need to check. Again, it depends if you are making a DD or a Battleship...

What are your plans?

Rui
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hi Rui,

Good point, i hadn't factored in a battleships chain might be larger than a destroyers. The kits I have are Tamiya's King George V, the Bismarck, and the Akagi. All in 1:350 scale. I have detail set's for all three but don't like the look of the photo etched chain. i think I'd like to go with actual chain, but again not sure on the size.

Thanks again,

Joseph
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 07:18 AM UTC
One trick that may result is for you to count the links per inch, this will give you a "scale".
The best place to find appropriate chain, once you know what to look for, is train model shops or big warehouse, they usually carry several sizes of cheap plastic/metal chains, usually gold tinted, but that's no problem to a modeler

Hope this helps

Rui
superfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 40 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rui,

Good point, i hadn't factored in a battleships chain might be larger than a destroyers. The kits I have are Tamiya's King George V, the Bismarck, and the Akagi. All in 1:350 scale. I have detail set's for all three but don't like the look of the photo etched chain. i think I'd like to go with actual chain, but again not sure on the size.

Thanks again,

Joseph

Doesn't the 1/350 Akagi (Hasegawa) already come with "real" chain? check your sprue that contains the airwing.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi Joseph,

Model Expo carries chain in several sizes that work well for anchor chain, check their website out.
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies everyone. Went to the local hobby train store and picked up some chain. About 25 links per inch, may be a little on the big side but will do for now. Does anyone know a proper links per inch for 1:350, or does it kind of come down to preference?
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hi Joseph

Not to complicate things, but if you want to make accurate ground tackle for your ships, you'll need to also get tiny chain to replicate chain stoppers. Basically, these are smaller chains that hold pelican hooks which grip the large anchor chains when they're stowed, taking the weight of the anchor and its chain off the windlass equipment.

A good model train store should stock, or have access to, really tiny chain. Of course, you'll need to hit the books and the internet to see how each ship positioned their chain stoppers. These added details really make an otherwise blah-looking part of the deck snap.

Also, tiny chain is a must for modeling paravane (mine clearing gear) rigging that runs from the forecastle down to the forefoot at the tip of the underwater bow.

--Karl
SqzMyLemon
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 05:11 AM UTC
Thank you Karl, I was wondering about that secondary chain molded on the bow. The model store I visited had the perfect sized chain, which I didn't get for the anchor as it was way too small. I plan on picking it up now to add that extra level of detail you mentioned.

Again, thanks everyone...a great site and all the extra information from experienced ship modellers is most welcome and appreciated. Just finishing up some AFV's and grabbing the last few detail items I'll be needing to start my first ever ship model, Tamiya's King George V.
 _GOTOTOP