_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Pit Road PE
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 03:45 AM UTC
Is there a source for Pit Road PE here in the states? I can only find it in Japan and shipping for a single fret is a little much.

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

You can always give Pacific Front Hobbies a shout, he shows 18 different 1/700 scale Pit Road PE sets available.

http://www.pacificfront.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=38_95

Just curious, what exactly are you looking for? Most of the time Toms' Model Works has something that works and it is usually cheaper to boot. Then if you want deluxe PE, Gold Medal Models is one of my favorites, of course, prices are somewhat higher.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:26 PM UTC
Hey Jim,

Check with other manufacturers. I have found that most of the time these companies have contracted the frets out to people like GMM and LionRoar.

Kenny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
Pit Road has a set for the Chiyoda seaplane tender. Tom's has a set for IJN seaplane tenders but the Pit Road set just has a few other pieces that will really make thigns pop.

I took your advice fellas and GMM has a set I can use together with the Toms set.

Such a simple thing to do, but sometimes you just get focused on one thing.

Thanks Guys!!

treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 04:55 PM UTC
Yeppers, I think we have all had a touch of the old tunnel vision syndrome at some point or other.

I have both sets from Toms' and GMM and between the two they do a pretty credible job of work covering most of the fiddely bits for the seaplane tenders. I especially like GMMs' laundry line that Loren dreamed up to run from the mast head to the bow and the mast details with the hanging rope lines is always a nice touch.

As to service from either one, I have found both to be top notch with GMMs' instructions to be a bit more comprehensive than Toms'. Both companies offer advice as to references if you can track them down, they do make life a little easier.

Looking forward to seeing your project when you get started on it.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:27 AM UTC
I have been slowly working on different skills on some recent builds. I've been taking advantage of Squadrons sales and getting some small IJN ships to use for "practice".

First I worked on doing a clean build, then worked on water, now I am adding PE to divine scale BFM tugs. So slowly but surely I am rebuilding my long lost skills.

With the Chiyoda I am going to try adding the whole nine yards. It will take me a while. it is a good deal of fun working on different skills. But just as many of us have said, my eyes are not nearly as good as they were.

Here are a couple of my recent test projects.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:27 AM UTC
Looks good!

I have been collecting (ship) PE from Luckymodel; not much of a "catalog", but lowest prices I can find AND free air shipping to the USA (as long as you order ONLY PE and some AMs). No minimum for Free Shipping; takes about a week and a half to 2 weeks.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:22 AM UTC
Looks like you are working right along there Jim.

Those Squadron deals are great to gather some subjects to work on in whatever scale you chose. I am still working at trying to get the litle Tarantul I together, considered ordering a second one to see if the kit I got is just missing parts or if it is the way it is supposed to be, although I find that hard to believe.

Some of the good ones to look for are things like Tamiyas' Auxiliary Ship set, three ships kits in one box, their Tugboat Set, a veritable harbor scene with 17 or 18 small boats in one set, any of the Skywave two fer one kits and some of the Hobby Boss subs in 1/700 scale. Nice and cheap and interesting, not to mention there are tons of reference materials available here and other places on the web.
 _GOTOTOP