_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Revell 144 Fletcher In-Box First Impression
Hatter50
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 478 posts
Model Shipwrights: 82 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
This is an “In-Box First Impressions”. Not a full blown review.

Sean Ford gave an initial report in Oct 2008 with some sprue shots:

https://www.modelshipwrights.com/news/4446

I have waited 6 months or so for this kit. I saw no early arrival in the USA, so I got mine from the UK (WEM). I plan on investing about 6-8 months into a static model, so it is with that in mind that I give my “impressions”.

The kit arrived on my doorstep and it is rather large. The box is 37 ½ inches long by 10 ½ inches deep by 5 ½ inches high. The hull was isolated from the sprues by an internal divider. 11 separate gray styrene sprues bagged 3 at a time in clear plastic bags. All the bags were sealed with tape, except one bag in my example. This allowed those sprues to get loose inside and give and receive some wharf rash. Nothing traumatic. There is also a clear sprue, a decal sheet (USS Fletcher and USS Chevalier), a spool of thread for rigging and the rails, and a well documented Instruction Manual.

This kit appears to have the proper shape and it looks like a Fletcher Destroyer, (so far). I found no flaws in the moldings (yet) and there has been almost no flash present. This kit appears to provide a good basic shape to start detailing or enough detail for an OOB build. There is nothing spectacular in molded in detail. I will say that having modeled for a while some companies “Appear” to upscale smaller scale kits into the “big boys”. This really appears to be an honest and well planned kit for the 1/144 scale………for the super-detailer or Out of Boxer.

Except for the 5”38 mounts and torpedo tubes, I did not inspect weaponry. These mounts are basic. Ladders are molded on.

Pros: (IMHO)
1. There is good hull plating detail.
2. There are no ladders molded into the stacks, they are separate styrene pieces.
3. Some ladders are molded into bulkheads.
4. Hatchways are all closed.
5. Very good detail in whaleboat davits.
6. Detail is good for the torpedo tubes. Room for scratch but looks ok for OOB to me.
7. Bulkheads are not loaded with detail.
8. Railing stanchions provided in styrene, rigging thread provided in black.

Cons: Didn't really find any.

Regards
Steve

Photos follow:

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 12:11 AM UTC
Thanks mate, nice pictures.

Looks like one that will find its way into my stash over the year, interesting what aftermarket there will be for it.

Cheers/Jan
Hatter50
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:03 AM UTC
Thanks Jan,

Yes, it's a nice one, but from what i see, it is a "Starting Point". I hope Lion Roar does a super PE set with brass props and guns also.

Regards
Steve
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 01:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jan,

Yes, it's a nice one, but from what i see, it is a "Starting Point". I hope Lion Roar does a super PE set with brass props and guns also.

Regards
Steve

Hi Steve,

We've already got the brass 5"/38s in stock from BMK, and will have his 1/144 Bofors barrels with our next order.
Hatter50
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hello John,

Funny you should mention that. Seems that you 'threw in" 5 of those BMK 5"38s into my Fletcher order. (paid for of course). I want to thank you and WEM very much for the wonderfull service.

Regards
Steve
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
Thanks for taking the time to give us a closer look at this one. Like everyone else, I can see this one will find its' way into my stash along with some aftermarket goodies as they become available.

Now if we can get Gator to come up with some masks for the paint job we'll be set.
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
Argh, I don't wanna do another build over 1/350! But this is all so tempting! Once the aftermarket gets cranking on this, it's gonna be even harder to resist. Thanks for the pics and the in box review.
Hatter50
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC
Here are all the Kit Sprues plus a bit extra: Please note that all plastic in this kit is the color of the hull halves.

Hulls

B Sprue

C Sprue

D Sprue

E Sprue X2

F Sprue X2

G Sprue

H Sprue

I Sprue X2

K Sprue Clear

Rigging Thread

BMK 5"38 Barrels (Not a part of the Revell Kit)

Regards
Steve
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
Boy, have I got plans for a few of those kits! Having all the aftermarket items will be a boon too for scratchbuilding other USN DD classes in 1:144th...

Thanks for the recon, Steve.

--Karl
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 02:06 PM UTC
Hi Steve

Thanks very much for the follow through on my initial report with some great pictures and comments.

Greatly appreciated.

I am sure Gunny (Mark) would also love an inbox review.

Cheers

Sean
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2009 - 02:59 PM UTC
Hi Steve

Thanks for sharing! It is a monster indeed - although it would be clever to have some subassemblies made in another way (for instance: the depth charges roller racks).
Looking forward to:
- Have a inbox review on it
- Follow the build log

Rui
 _GOTOTOP