_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Dealing With Bridge Windows
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Model Shipwrights: 185 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
What is the best way to deal with bridge windows on modern destroyers in 1/700 scale? Painting with a 3/0 brush just doesn't seem to be working.

Jim
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:06 PM UTC
Welcome to the "itty bitty" club, mate....

James, I personally use a Rapidograph drafting pen, they're available in many micro sizes, and multiple colors...a bit pricey, but definitely worth it...

Rapidograph

~Gunny
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Model Shipwrights: 185 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:24 PM UTC
Pricey? You ain't just whistiln' Dixie! Thanks for the advice though. What color do you use?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:42 PM UTC
Good ole black india ink, mate...the pens last forever Jim...I've had one since my High School days, nearly thirty years ago, and it still works as good now as it did then...
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC
I bought a set of the Stadler Mars pens back in High school for draft class, but they are totally MIA. That just figures.

Those would work out great for getting black and other colors into those tiny spaces on these tiny ships.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
James,

Another option is to get a set of archival markers. I use these for a number of tasks. You get them down to .02 size. check your local craft store. They are some times in the scrapbooking section.

Also, any of these will work. http://www.dickblick.com/products/pelikan-techno-liners/

Kenny
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 46 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 06:18 PM UTC
Boy did this topic hit a nerve with me. This has been a pet peeve of mine since the 70's, remember those old 1/700 Hasegawa BB's with smooth face bridges ? Those old black window stickers that came in the kits never did it for me. I have recently embarked on a remake quest for some of my old builds, cutting out the window areas and replacing them with 1/350 ladder stock. It looks like Lionroar has picked up on this method with their new 1/700 bridge windows release.

As for the pens, has anyone found any in white paint with a tip smaller than .05 milimeter ? It seems like they would work for deck lines but I encounter alot of blotting problems.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:25 AM UTC
Do you have a Michaels’ craft store near you? They have some nice “draft” pens in the artists/paint section, also the calligraphy section. Gotta love those 50% off coupons! You can use xthin black sharpie, but I read somewhere the ink will turn purplish after some time under some conditions. I do like the idea of replacing with ladder stock, I cannot see myself opening/sawing each individual window pane!
 _GOTOTOP