_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PBR Mk.II 'Pibber' 1/35 Tamiya
MichelCaudron
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 129 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hi ya guys,

I'm from the Netherlands, and for a while i've been working on a PBR from Tamiya. Since i'm part of the kitmaker network, thought í should post it here so you guys can check it out.

-------------------------------
I bought this kit from someone else, that started this kit but never continued it, so i bought it of him.

The box in wich it arrived.

contents

and some other thingies

I started with removing the base wich it was glued to

After several hours I ended up with a hull and a base.
Then i started with repairing the damage , wich meant sanding, sanding, sanding.....some putty, sanding, putty and some sanding

-----------------------------------

In the time that elapsed, it forgot to take pictures, and we fast forward to the PBR in it's olive drab color (Vallejo), yes I primed it first

a dry fit

primer

olive drab

cabin in primer

gunnest in olive drab

roofie in primer

I've also been working on the wiring of the radarpole, with the following result.

Unfortunatly, i wasn't happy with the result, so i redid it with some fine wire.

----------------------

--------------

here you can see the result of the fine wire, looks much better.
I also changed the color of the lights and the oranje light i going to be a little darker by using a wash.

In de cabin I painted the throttle-handles according to their real color, painted the steering wheel satin black and added a few layers of Tamiya Smoke a blacken the radar and compass, I found them to clear.

-----------------------

The little piece of jarn that was supplied with the boat is probably to be used for the ancer and for the lifesaver and not for the radarpole.

The radarpole was secured with steelwire, so i'll do that aswell. (i did )

I also added some electrical wiring, from the pole to the cabin.

and the cable from the black thingy on top

I already fixed the wiring to the christmas tree, but i still need to take some pictures.

I hope you guys liked my log so far?

Greetz,
Michel
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 03:27 AM UTC
Michel,

You're doing a GREAT job on it. You know - I am amazed by how all of you guys build models ... especially the ones that build in 1:700 .....
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 06:06 AM UTC
Very nice work Michel.

Kenny
MichelCaudron
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments

well it's nice working in 1/35 scale for now

the detail i'm working on is based on the real deal, happy i found a veteran site of PBR soldiers in NAM, that i use for reference

Later on i would like to work on some other boats ea. USS Texas/USS New Jersey and German Wolfpack U-boat.

I'll keep you guys posted
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC
Great work with the repairs. She’s looking great so far. Will you be repairing the stand and using it. Have you thought about using stretched sprue for wire.
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 07:42 AM UTC
hi michel that pibber is looking sweet mate, but i'd replace the 50 cal's as i think the detail is a little soft, the parts are looking a little aged now, i went for the cheap option of academy's 50 cal's from their WWII machine gun set no. 1384 that's what i did but its up to you mate good luck with the rest of the build, also i'd replace the m-60 to it looks wrong i'd either source an m-60 from one of dragon's 1/35th vietnam figure sets or if your feeling adventurous try the new set from plus models. Ant
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 08:41 AM UTC
Really good work Michel, can you provide the link to the PBR site you mentioned?
MichelCaudron
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC
@Joe
Thanks.
Yes, i've thought of using strechted sprue, but i wanted do something more realistic
and yes, i will be using the original stand again to display the boat on in my displaycabinet, i've already repaired it, and i'm thinking of painting a wood texture on the stand, witch a golden edge around the letter and maybe fill the letters up with putty, to make it look more solid.

@Ant
About the aged parts, what do you mean? that the detail of the guns back then were pretty bad and that they became better over the years and I should use that? Your right about that...it's a good idea to use better detailed guns.

2nd, the boat not even near it's completion, because i want to add a lot more detail, but i don't have a rush, so i'll get there. add wiring to the searchlight on the canvas roof, maybe give the roof a real canvas look instead of it's plastic look.

Unfortunatly for maybe some people, i will not be adding figures, because i want the focus on the magnificant boat.

Next to that, i'll also try to give the boat some nice weathering and some scratches in the fibreglass hull. Seen some nice pictures of PBRs with some nice damage, wear and tears

edit: yeah sure i'll post the link later on
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC
Looks like you are doing a heck of a job on your project there Michel. Too bad you had to start off reconstructing parts, but from the looks of things you are coming right along with it. I will be looking forward to your updates to see how it progresses.
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 01:15 PM UTC
hey michel, yeah i was trying to say the detail on the guns back then were pretty bad compared to later tamiya kits but those academy ones are a lot better they even have 50 cal's with the flash suppressor on like the kit ones. just the quality is light years ahead of the ones in the kit. look forward to seeing this one progress.
MichelCaudron
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 08:04 PM UTC
@Jay
thanks, thing is my motivation for the boat is on a low fire atm, because i'm began working on two armor projects (a Panther 1/35 and a Renault UE 1/35) but I'll go back to work on it soon.

@Ant
Yeah, i'll defenitly do that....could also mount two miniguns or i could mount a minigun on the back. This is not fictional i saw actual picture of this.

in the gunnersnest of an Mk.I

@Pat
Here is one link, but there are a lot more, use google with search terms pbr mk.ii
http://www.tf116.org.
There were a lot of ppl on PBRs in vietnam, was pretty hard to find good pictures for reference. Like i said i really like this boat, wich was an icon for the Vietnam was. Also because i have an interest in the Vietnam war as do i have an interest in WWII.
wich brings me to the fast that it's nice to see that things/boats/LCVPs that were made in WWII were also used in the vietnam war, wich also facinates me...same thing with armor and weapons, for example the Thompson
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2009 - 04:17 PM UTC
a mini-gun on a pibber fancy that? i'd say go for it it would make your pibber more unique and i think it would look ace.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 05:29 AM UTC
Welcome to MSW Michel!
I like the cabin detail painting… good tips (Tamiya smoke) and MG mounts. Look forward to the rest!
MichelCaudron
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
These are the other two pictures i had of miniguns on a pibber, found em once, couldn't find em again so i uploaded them on my site.

Ain't it COOL?!?!?!!!

Now i have to go out and buy some miniguns, already bought the detailed .50's
Legend Minigun set is not the way i want them, so they are going to be adjusted

@JMartine
thanks for the welcome
 _GOTOTOP