_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
looking for a fishing boat
pastafarian
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 05:41 PM UTC
I've had the idea of building a fishing boat like the one in "Perfect Storm" for a while but haven't really been able to run across a decent boat kit at a reasonable price. I found this one, but it's 1/30 scale and $224.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/billing_andrea.html
I found the Lindberg Tuna Clipper in 1/60 that's somewhat close and only $36. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of something in a similar scale that's a little closer to the Andrea Gail.

I think this would look really cool mounted vertically to the wall riding a celluclay wave getting ready to break over the boat (like the final scenes of the movie). Pretty much like this (about 8 inches wide and a couple feet tall):

Thanks,
John
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 11:38 PM UTC
What a cool project idea, John!
Well, mate, the Billings kit is the only one that I know of, and cost/size would definitely be a factor here...unless you have room for a 8 foot stand-up diorama!!

I think you're going to have to re-create the A.G., my friend, by doing a bit of image collection, and make a scratch-build conversion plan...if you compare the two model kits, there are some differences, but the Lindy kit would make for a great start...

The Billings Kit

The Lindy Kit

I think it would be alot of fun!
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP