_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Support Vessels
Non-combat support vessels of any type and post-sail.
Hosted by Harry
1/350 Resin Limited Edition Akitsushima
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 846 posts
Model Shipwrights: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 08:00 PM UTC
Okay gang, the be-all, end-all, super duper, only 500 made, resin 1/350 IJN Akitsushima has arrived in Japan. My contact and go to guy for scoring one of these bad boys has been Scott Hards, the owner of Hobby Link Japan. Not only did Scott manage to get one for me, he managed to snag two extras. So guys, if any of you want one (or two) of these awesome kits, here's your chance!

The total cost is 34,820 yen. This includes the kit cost of 26,800 yen, 4,000 yen processing fee (Scott had to take personal time to set these orders up as they were only sold to individuals, NOT stores), and 4,000 EMS shipping (a high value/ rare item like this doesn't get shipped by small packet!).

Yes, they're pricier than injection kits, but remember, there are only 500 of these made and that's it. They're full resin kits, sharply made, with a comprehensive PE fret included. In other words, there's nothing else needed, and the price is comparable to other high quality 1/350 resin kits.

If you want one of these, it's first come, first served. Email Scott directly at [email protected] Good luck!

I will be posting a review of my copy as well as a build log for anybody who is interested.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:36 PM UTC
Well, I can't say here what I said in real time when I read this, but darn it!! I would love to get one. Just a little too rich for me at the moment. In a week, that might all change.

I've seen some up close shots of the ship and it looks great. Keep us updated on the kit and I look forward to seeing your review and build.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 02:23 AM UTC
Thanks Dade, e-mail sent.

Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 05:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads-up Dade!
Looking forward to see the beast
Cheers,
Rui
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 05:33 AM UTC
Jim, this is another reason why I canceled my plans to attend the show as I knew this kit would be arriving sometime in February. Just by canceling my hotel room, took care of 2/3 the cost of the kit right there.

Frank, excellent, glad I could help! Now I gotta ask, will yours be waterlined or will it be spared the surgery?

Rui, I should have something up the week after next.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 12:10 PM UTC
If I'm fortunate enough to get my hands on one, it'll be waterlined.

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 06:54 PM UTC
Okay, guys, I got an email from Scott saying that the other two have sold, so congrats to the other two lucky buyers.

Frank, I hope you managed to get yours spoken for in time. Seeing one of these kits waterlined! Wow, that's commitment!

Congrats again guys, and be on the lookout for my review in a couple weeks or so...
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:47 AM UTC
Dade, I totally understand. That is a heck of a catch.

Frank - Waterline!!! Wow, that will be interesting to see. Hope you get one!

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC
Unfortunately, I was a bit late in replying, the other two where already spoken for.

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 05:15 AM UTC
Darn, Frank, I'm sorry to hear. I remembered our discussion where you were talking about staying away from big/ expensive builds for a little while, so that's why I didn't think to PM you.

FWIW, guys, I posted this to MSW **ONLY**. So we know that it's definitely MSW members who got the other two. Scott gave me right of first refusal on all three since I originally came up with the plan (and he and I have a working relationship due to a job I did for him), but since I'm a little low on funds overall, I couldn't afford to buy almost $1000 worth of kits straight up. But I knew somebody here would like them.

The next time one of these sorts of things comes up (and there are more coming from what I hear, although different ships), I'll make a general announcement and you can PM me to get something set up.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, I was a bit late in replying, the other two where already spoken for.

Frank

Sorry to hear this Frank! I am sure you would make a great Akitsushima (another one)!
Perhaps you will be able to catch it... who knows?

Rui
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 - 05:38 AM UTC
I appreciate the attempt Dade,.. and yes you where right, I did initially balk at the kit, but after seeing all the photos I realized that it really wasn't priced out of my comfort zone.

Next time, next kit...

thanks,

Frank
Karybdis
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2009 - 05:07 AM UTC
The review is online here at MSW. Thanks to Jim for putting this up! Enjoy!

https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/review/4040

_GOTOTOP