_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
U.S.S. Enterprise CVAN 65
HerrKaleun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 05:47 PM UTC
Hello everyone,
My modelling "strength" lies in WWII armor, and I have been commissioned to build a 1/350th scale Enterprise for a retiring gentleman.
Here is my dilemma: I have searched high and low on the web, the library...everywhere. The time frame the gentleman served on the ship was mid 70's. I need to buld the ships island with the "beehive" phased array, not the square island as it appears the Tamiya kit comes with.
I need your help with some info guys, as to makers of the resin beehive island, and the aftermarket air wing to use, as it would consist of Phantoms, Prowlers, Intruders and the such. It appears that Gold Medal Models is the way to go for the P.E. I also plan on lighting up the hanger bays. I really want to go all out on the aftermarket stuff, so all of your help is VERY much appreciated...as my efforts have found zip.
Thanks in advance,
Lincoln Sanford
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 02:27 PM UTC
I can't help too much with the ship configuration during that period, but if you can tell me the years he served on the ship, I'll be able to tell you exactly which air wing, squadrons and aircraft was embarked during that period. As you've guessed, she almost certainly would have had Phantoms as the fighters and probably would have had Corsair IIs as the light attack planes and Intruders in the medium attack squadron.

I'd opt for the Trumpeter planes for the airwing as they are better than the Tamiya ones.

Tom
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:33 AM UTC
not an expert, but maybe these sites may help:

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org4-6.htm

http://www.navsource.org/
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hey Lincoln,

Starfighter Decals may have the airwing decals you need.
Take a look here

As far as backdating the island, I have the old Revell 1/400 kit of the Enterprise and you can have the island from it. PM me if you are interested.

Kenny
HerrKaleun
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 01:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys...it's more than I came up with.
Okay, I have to admit that I'm somewhat biased when it comes to a choice of Tamiya vs. Revell. Since the key feature my customer is looking for is the "beehive" island configuration, and apparently an aftermarket isn't available, perhaps I should go with the Revell 1/400 Enteerprise.
Gimme the lowdown guys...good, bad or indifferent. If the kit comes off well, I'll go with the Revell.
Thanks
entlim
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Just as a last ditch chance try contacting John Snyder at white Ensign models

His Ships catalogue is very extensive, and he may have/ or know someone else who can help

www.whiteensignmodels.com

hth

Ed
Admhawk
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2009 - 01:12 AM UTC
There is NO aftermarket set for the beehive. The changes are very extensive throughout the whole ship and not just the island, so aftermarket manufacturers don't want to tackle it because of how big and expensive the set would be.

The Revell kit is 'okay'. There are other 1/400 and 1/350 kits with the beehive, but none really pull off a very good 70's version.

I would say that Revell is your only option in large scale unless you want to do a lot of scratchbuilding.
 _GOTOTOP