_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
POLL
Cammetts Feedback Wanted!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 05:21 AM UTC
Ahoy mates,
With the interest here of late in the new update sets, Robin Carpenter from Cammetts thinks there is great scope for a collaboration between this forum and himself to identify items that would improve the overall build.

He has asked if he can get feedback on what new items for the S100 would be desirable by modelers, and he will then see if they can be produced. Its his intention to make an ongoing range of updates for the kit.

Mines and rails, and an S38 bridge conversion are already being planned. The list below are some ideas that ared being kicked around and if you could vote on any you would like to see, or add to the list he would be grateful. In addition if you have any details or corrections that would make the updates more accurate please feel free to email them in. Also feel free to discuss the pro's and con's of what you see here or are suggested.

1.) Resin propellers
2.) Brass propellers (for R/C)
3.) Front/Rear decks for other S38/100/170 versions
4.) Targeting computer
5.) Internal mounts for R/C components

Please support this collaboration by placing your vote in a reply in this thread, here's your chance to have your voice heard!

Thanks!
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 05:08 AM UTC
not sure how useful my vote will be, as I am not interested in RC and recently came back to the hobby.. BUT... if I was tackling that project (or similar scale/PT boat versions), I would love to see more interior/cabin details in order to open up some hatches. Similar idea as the armor folks who "open" the hatches to glimpse at the interior. HTH a bit!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
Ahoy Mark

Big thanks to you and Robin for this opportunity.

Here is my vote in this order

1. Resin Propellers;

2. Front/rear decks option;

3. Targeting computer.

Suggestions:

Resin 1/35 crew;

Enhanced inflatable raft.

Cheers

Sean
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hi Mark,
...and once again: thanks a lot for this chance!
Here's my voting:

1. Resin Propellers,
2. Targeting computer,
3. Front/rear decks option

Suggestions:

- Altered aerial mounts (HaJü)
- Widened gun shield (3,7cm Flak)
- Radar detector antenna mast with FuMB 24 "Cuba 1a" and FuMB 32 "Flores" (HaJü)
- Crew members

bye,
Michael

awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 333 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hi Mark,
For me a correct version of the 2cm bowgun/Drehkranzlafette 41 would come first. The Italeri gun and mount are absolutely appaling and not easy to scratchbuild.
- Second, a pe set containing bridge detail, hinges and fasteners for ammo-lockers and hatches.
- Third, a resin crew.

Regards,

Arjan
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hello Mark
For me the detail update sets I would vote for are
1. resin propellers
2. targeting computer
3. Deck options (for future projects )

Other details I would like to see are

1. Crew figures
2.Brass barrel gun set
3.Gun sheilds in Brass
4.Bridge detail set
5.Resin Raft
6. Canvas Rail Covers
7. Dockside accesories for Dioramas

Not to much I Hope
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 02:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies thus far mates...it's not too often that model manufacturers will ask us for our input, so please, take a moment and let Robin know your thoughts on the matter!
Keep the discussion flowing!!
~Gunny
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 07:02 AM UTC
Great move asking for our feedback. My choices:
1. Targeting computer (really super detailed)
2. Front/Rear decks for other S38/100/170 versions
3. Nice and crisp resin crew members.
4. (Just double checking here) an S38 bridge cover (because I so badly want to do the S38 with air recognition marks on the bow and the sexy camouflage).
Cheers,
Julian
53Buick
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 05:57 PM UTC
Howdy,
I'd love to see:

Better Torps/props
S-38 front deck
S-38 Wheel house
Better Front gun mount
Better duck boards
rafts
Those depth charges look awesome! Keep up the good work. Ryan
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 17, 2009 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hi All

Many thanks for the feedback so far - Robin is watching the thread and taking notes. Here are some thoughts.

Stuff such as props, raft, S38 Bridge/wheelhouse and decks, targeting computer are planned for production or now being looked at thanks to the input.

Crew
Apparently Italeri are planning on releasing a crew. Phils sculpting talents lend themselves more towards the mechanical than human forms, so it might be that the Italeri set and Hornet heads/hands might the future.

Raft
Robin needs to know what type of raft you are looking for - is the kit one okay for detailing or is it the one with more rounded prow/stern you mean?

Guns and shields
Shields are definitely doable in either resin or scale thickness brass. Does someone have correct dimensions and a drawing you can send? Ideally you guys need to agree on the final shield design before sending it - start the discussion

The guns are more tricky - we would need to see an existing correct marine version of the guns - are they available and if so from whom? Or are the kit ones ok and possibly need some alteration? Also what update sets are currently available from Aber and the like.

Again - many thanks for the input
Brian

Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi Brian,
I think the kits square rafts need detailing, but to supply the Lang- or the HaJü-boat we need a german assault raft (called "Kleiner Floßsack 34") like in Dragons 6076 "German Sturmpioniere" but this kit is oop in the moment.

...and here's the extended 3.7cm-Flak gunshield with circa dimension - maybe, this helps!?
Arjan noted, that the flat area of the shield - subdivided into 4 parts by the openings for the gun and the sights - must have the same width! So accept the pics as a suggestion

Thanks for your effort to help us ship-builders!

Michael
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
Good evening gentlemen,
I think Michael did a great job on the shield extensions but I have my doubts about the cut corners to tell the truth. I think Michael based this idea on the pic on page 28 but I think there is simply an object in the foreground that makes it seem as if the corners were cut (the pic on page 27 seems to show an uncut side panel). Michael the kleiner Flosssack may be out of production but it's still available at the Modellbau König:
http://www.modellbau-koenig.de/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/186_185_192/products_id/2080

Cheers,

Arjan
dsotm
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 357 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 - 08:44 PM UTC
Don't worry guys I found a Pioneer set locally last night - kindly donated to the cause by Vinnie Brannigan

Brian
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 12:01 AM UTC
Hi Arjan,
examine the pic on page 27: the left boat is HaJü and the doubtful cut is invisible because of the guard covering it!
But on the very right side of the pic, there's the right part of the Lang-boat gunshield with the lower edge/corner cut off.
Maybe the curved galley's funnel in the foreground of the left boat is the reason why the shield is cut to keep the gun rotatable by 360°!?

cheers
Michael
awiskerke
Visit this Community
Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 03:21 AM UTC
Hi Michael,
I was referring to the same pic and shield to prove my point Perhaps someone else can judge this pic for us (an impartial third party ). It's a lousy pic to prove either point but I think you are right about the curved funnel.

Arjan
RobinCarpenter
Vendor
CAMMETT
KitMaker: 27 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Everyone
many thanks for all your feedback, I personally take alot of interest in this subject so we will be producing most of what has been sugested, My first thoughts on doing something for this kit was to do a complete engine room!!! and maybe further interior bits, but once I got hold of a kit my mind just went I could do this, I could do that, etc so we made a start, phil our pattern maker is kept very busy on other subjects also and he will be taking a 5 week break soon to visit family , this will delay a few items we have on the go, we are hoping to release two types of mines and rails and maybe the dinghy before he goes, the etched canvas railing covers are being adjusted (minor fault on our first set) these should be available in the next couple of weeks, we have also produced the lights in clear coloured resin these should also be available shortly,
Please keep putting up any suggestions I do get a little time to read the forum but not much time for replying to all posts,(old hands take alot longer to type)
Regards Robin Carpenter
cammett ltd
herrmill
Visit this Community
Zhejiang, China / 简体
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 10:37 AM UTC
Robin,

Thanks for the reply & all that you are doing to expand the offering.

I'll buy whatever you release for the S-38 version & would like to second the radar but add a FuMo71.

Chuck
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Model Shipwrights: 57 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 09:14 PM UTC
I am still gathering intel and items for my S-100

My suggestions for Cammett would be
Resin Torpedoes I don't like that there is the possibility of losing detail when removing the seam line, and there is no fuse on the front warhead. Every picture I have seen of German torpedoes had a unique looking fuze on the front
Resin 37mm Gun The one in the kit really bugs me because the loading rack for the rounds is solid, not hollow area like the 40mm Bofors in the PT-596 kit

That is my suggestion, this is an epic kit and once I finish my current projects, I am starting this baby
I have ordered the updated bridge housing, the canvas covers for the aft rails, and the large set of mines. (I love those mines, very intimidating)

I take my hat off and bow in awe to Cammett, they are offering so many nice items for this kit and I think it is amazing that they are offering to listen to feedback and suggestions

CHEERS
 _GOTOTOP