_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Brit & French nuke subs fender bender
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Model Shipwrights: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 15, 2009 - 04:47 PM UTC
Now I have limited knowledge of naval related matters, but could probably hold my own in a convo - dad was a civvie seconded to the South African Navy.

But could someone please tell me how in the hell two 150m long, 13m in diameter nuclear submarines collide in open ocean? British and a French nuclear-powered submarines crash in the Atlantic Ocean. Seriously! What the heck!?!?

Maybe they were both running on supa-stealth mode?

Rudi
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 01:50 AM UTC
From the article there is not much info about what the subs were doing together. If they really were on separate missions and submerged when they hit each other then somebody will get fired over that. A submarine is a very stealthy boat. They can be very quite and can actually hide in water. Sound is bent and deflected in water. It creates blind/deaf spots in the water. There are layers in the water based on temperature and salinity of the water. Sound travels differently in each layer. One sub can be inside a layer masking its sound and another can be just outside the layer and cannot hear the other.

Deep water has lower background water than shallow water. Water moving through a straight is very loud compared to water in the middle of the ocean. Nuclear submarines are very quiet and unless they were running at speeds above say 15 knots they would be very stealthy. Other than the screw making noise the loudest part on a nuclear sub are the circulation pumps on the reactor. I could go into some technical stuff, but I won’t. The pumps will make noise if they are used, so natural circulation is used up to a certain power level.

Think of both subs as two people with blindfolds on. One has their I-pod playing music in their ears. The other has the regular sounds around them with maybe some loud music played from time to time. They start walking around in an empty gym for an hour. They may or may not run into one another, but it is possible. So, are you confused yet? It is possible for two subs to run into one another. The odds are rather high it can happen, but it can.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 03:23 AM UTC
It's war!!!!

Quoted Text

...no injuries were reported. Both the UK and France insisted nuclear security had not been compromised.

Seriously, glad no one hurt and no isotops loose to nuke the whales.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On 6 February, France's defence ministry had said that Le Triomphant "collided with an immersed object (probably a container)" when coming back from patrolling, and that the vessel's sonar dome was damaged.

Ya think? Someone call the Geico gekko.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Model Shipwrights: 214 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 07:47 AM UTC
This quote was seen:

"our correspondent said it might be the case that the anti-sonar devices, meant to hide the submarines from enemies, were "too effective"".

Removed by original poster on 02/17/09 - 02:09:37 (GMT).
mvfrog
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 369 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 - 02:12 PM UTC
Rudi:

get a book titled, "Blind Man's Bluff." Not only will you enjoy this book, but it will answer this question (and others that start, "How could...). Until 1994, we had a p-3C base about 3 miles from where I live, and we had (probably still have) Russian subs off the coast of CA all the time. I heard some stories and saw some film about these things that you would not believe. Get the book, it's an enjoyable read.
 _GOTOTOP