These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
attaching a base
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
Here's my dilemma. I have my finished 1:72 Uboat model and I just aquired a nice wooden base to mount it on. I have no carpentry skills and even though I have seen many fine models mounted to bases, I have zero idea how to mount this? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Gary
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC
I have seen several U-boats and submarines placed on keel blocks on bases. This looks nice and would be very simple to under take. Simple small square blocks cut to the same length placed under the U-boat to support it.

wildspear
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 960 posts
Model Shipwrights: 901 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 03:05 AM UTC
Gary,
Since you have finished the build you'll have to mount it differently. Go to the hardware store or home improvement store and get a couple "lamp Finalles"....I know bad spelling. The brass things that go on lamps, I have even found turned wooded peices in the section where they have the wooden trim in the home improvement stores.

Take the brass or wood peices (2 should do) and attach it to your base (wood screws should work fine) as a trial to make sure everything is straight and looks good. Take those peices off the base and epoxy them to the bottom of you build, let dry then attach to the base.

The epoxy should be more than enough to hole the build to the base, I've use this way a few times because I always forget to put screws in the hull before I close things up.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 04:59 AM UTC
Hello Gary, when I did my U-boat, I drilled two holes in the keel and inserted two brass tubes long enough to reach the underside of the deck. I then mounted two brass rods into the base that would fit inside the tubes and reach up to the deck. You can make the rods as long as you like so the model sits as high as you want above the base. You just slide the model onto the rods. I used some brass lamp hardware to dress up the rods a little bit. Al
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 - 09:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. Thanks to all!

Cheers,
Gary
 _GOTOTOP