Pier 51 - Goods Wagons
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A bit on an update. Some more work don on the Goods wagons.

The marking on SR changed in 1937, the 12 ton wagon only has makkings for pre 1937 but them's the breaks. I also realised alter al these months I had the sides on upside down

I was going to fill this one up wiht stores but the cheapest option might be to use coal as these wagon carried either. Any thoughts?

Damage in fixing the sides was minimal but they are no longer a perfect fit!!

The second of the wagons is the 25 Ton Goods Break Van which I thought might add a bit of variety. I've finish this one post 1937 but might add the 2nd sand box and use the larger SR decals instead making it pre 1937. Talking to some railroad chaps they said it was quite possible it would be years before the wagons got upgraded as they would have had to been removed form service to get upgraded. This would mean I could weather it up a bit more. Still some side doors and small fittings to be added but this is where I'm at now.

Finally a picture for scale. I put some of my tea drinkers to work (the truck crews) to give an idea of scale. What do you think passable?

Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
Nice to see working continuing on the Pier 51 project.
Look good to me, but I know nothing about the British rail system.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

Thanks, still plodding along.

Looks like the military had a number of these as well, order in 1942.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/wagon/49018.html

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:09 AM UTC
Nice looking work Al.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 05:54 PM UTC
hello Alan,
looking good.i am like Dave,i no nothing about Train items,except blowing them up in my Air Combat Computer games.
thanks for the photo's and some ideas if i ever do a dock side dio.what scale are they?
cheers,
Bruce
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hi Kenny and Bruce,

Thanks for looking in. I think I will use the large SR on both, move visual impact and I've been told possible both due to the time required to take wagons out of service for re-furbishment and also the arrival of the war.

Bruce these are O scale 7mm, which was as close as I could get to British 1/35 scale kits.

Al
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 10:17 PM UTC
Hi Alan I think your goods and gaurd wagons look spot on.I live very close to a working steam railway and take my dogs walking that way daily all there stuff looks very worn and battered.If you need anymore ref photos give me a nod and will get you a batch sent over.Stunning work on your pier51 project inspiering
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 02:00 AM UTC
Hi Keith,

Thanks. I've altered it to show the earlier version. What would be good if you can get a few pics of the level of wear on a working wagon. My refers were mainly of refurbished wagons. Also if you could get any pics of the type of stove inside and an idea from the train guys what would have been inside the wagon that would be good. I haven't fixed the roof in place yet so although you will see little through the windows the odd bit of shape shadow might be good.

Whilst on trains a couple of pic of the track would be good for reference too.

Cheers

Al
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hi Alan

As usual it looks great!
A nice addition to the layout....

As for the contents of the wagon... what would it carry? You have to think what would be carried inside to be near the wharf... Coal is a good option, since the locomotive would need it, but also some goods for the boarding men, or some harbor defense material would be interesting

Keep up,

Rui
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

yes, caol was the poor mans option . My original thought had been stores, boxes and the like, time yet to decide, not much coal used in LCMs!

This is how they stand at the moment:

I switched the decals, added some hinges to the side doors so that they can be displayed open, fitted the lamp brackets and a catch to the sand boxes, painted a couple of replacement planks to break up the side a bit and added the extra sand box for the earlier type.

Cheers

Al
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 04:50 AM UTC
Alan sorry for late reply work and kids got in the way but if you think about 50 of these might help PM me your E_Mail and I will send them as a zipp file if thats OK.As for the stove in the gaurds van got a good pic of one from a damaged wagon minuss its flue and some pics of the brake handle mech it is only a small stove just enough for some heat and to warm the Tea Pot

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hi Keith,

Many thanks, looks like a Sherman boggie might meet that function with a bit of cutting lol, lol.

Many thanks, PM on route.

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP