_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Aoshima Big Sailing Ships kits
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:26 PM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

Aoshima have called by the news desk and let us know about their latest releases in their "Big Ships" range.

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:55 AM UTC
Thanks Sean, both kits look good and they are pretty big to the Cutty Sark has been done many times but the Susquehanna i have never seen before looks interesting.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 06:37 AM UTC
Sounds like the Susquehanna is the old Imai kit, which was impressive for its molding and unique subject matter. Good to see her coming back into the world again.

--Karl
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
good news... even if they are re-issues, are they good molds and a worthwhile purchase?
a tad pricey but maybe worthwhile, thanks for the posting
SkyCop
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 - 05:43 AM UTC
Hi all,
I currently have the Imai Susquehanna. The Aoshima and Monogram versions are both from the Imai molds. This is probably a re release using those molds. In my opinion, it is an excellent model. The detail of the wood grain and copper plating on the hull are fantastic. I have been researching the USS Susquehanna for some time now and finally got my hands on the Imai kit. Actually, I am only using it as a reference for a 1/96 scale scratchbuilt model of her in wood.
If you are looking for a historically accurate model of the Susquehanna...well....the kit does have itīs flaws. Wrong design on the paddlewheel covers, Single paddle instead of double paddles, wrong cannons, there was no launch in the bow area, no raised bulwark around the "Poop Deck", ect, ect. I know, picky me but...
Other than all that, for someone who just wants to build a really interesting and good looking ship model, I would highly recommend the USS Susquehanna.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 11:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Bill !
 _GOTOTOP