_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Need recommendation for primer
GlennCauley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Model Shipwrights: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 03:50 AM UTC
I want to know what is a good commercially-available primer (in Canada) for my 1/72 U-boat model (U-673). There are large sections of photoetch (PE) on the model, so I need a primer that will adhere well to plastic, sanded putty, and photoetch.

Ideally I would like a primer that is not in a spraycan, as I would prefer to airbrush it on (due to all of the complex curves on the model).

I need to prime the model, put a gloss coat on several areas, then apply Archer Surface Detail rivets (like waterslide decals). Then I'll re-primer and then paint the model. This is what I'm up against... several layers that need to be thin so that all the surface details will not be filled in or hidden.

Also would appreciate recommended thinner, mixing ratio, spraying pressure, and drying time.

ANY help is appreciated.
redcobra04
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 10:14 AM UTC
What you can do is decant Krylon Primer in to a paint jar or a 35mm film canister. Let all of the bubbles disappear before using in your airbrush. One large can will last you along time. Just paint outside or use a paint booth. Just clean the airbrush out with lacquer thinner after you are done.I have used it a lot of times. You dont have to thin it. air pressure at 15 to 20 PSI. Try on some scrap plastic or a piece of glass to get the proper distance and adjustment on your airbrush. HTH
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 12:59 PM UTC
I use Duplicolor gray sandable primer in the rattle can. Works great.
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 - 05:38 PM UTC
Hi Glenn,

I use Alclad II Gray Primer & Microfliier(ALC 302)

Works great with PE, Putty, Resin and Plastic.

Comes airbrush ready, works great in my Iwata's.

I have even used it on my master's with no problems.

Hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP