_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Tone vs. Chikuma AA mounts
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Model Shipwrights: 113 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:38 AM UTC
Hi!

I am just now getting into Japanese ships and bought the 1/700 Aoshima IJN Chikuma for a great deal. Only problem is that I have some references that show loads of AA guns on the Tone, but not the Chikuma.

Did the Tone have a refit with more AA than the Chikuma? I really like tons of AA on my ships...if Chikuma didn't have a lot, can I convert my Chikuma into the Tone, so I can load it up with AA?

Any help would be grand!
MikeMx
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
I think if I remember right the Aoshima kits have an early war Chikuma and a late war Tone, hence the extra AA on Tone.
Also remember that Chikuma was sunk at Leyte Gulf in October 1944. Tone survived that battle had had her AA battery further increased, She also carried radar, which I don't think you kit of Chikuma will have.
The easiest solution I can think of is to sell your Chikuma and buy the Fujimi 1/700 Tone (new tool kit). This kit is far superior (if you think the Aoshima one is good, you will wet your pants when you see the new Fujimi kit!) and represents the Tone with the much increased AA.

thanks
Mike
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 10:24 PM UTC
Perfect timing. Fujimi, following the Tone is releasing Chikuma. It is available for pre-order at 1999.co.jp for 20% off retail.

For other IJN fans, new tool Ise (BBCV), Taiho and Shokaku are also confirmed from Fujimi this year. Too many releases too little time or $! Not to mention a 1/350 FUSO. If I'm going to build one 1/350 ship, that will be it.
MikeMx
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 11:27 AM UTC
Is the Taiho in 1/700?

thanks
Mike
MikeMx
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
Its ok I checked on HLJ and I have pre-ordered both plus their etch sets, both in 1/700 and due in November. If i'm lucky they will be out for the Telford show and I might be able to get HLJ to bring them and save on postage

thanks
Mike
 _GOTOTOP