_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Latest Still Motions Essex DVD
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

Still Motion Photographics have called by the news desk and given us the low down on their latest release.

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC
anyone has experience with these products? I know Gunny had a good review on one of the titles.... can you zoom in on the pics? (hi res?). What do they mean by "data files"? Plans of the ship? Unfortunatelly, the web site does not contain much detail info on the actual contents of the DVD (besides number of pics). thanks
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 04:47 PM UTC
Hey everyone...thanks for you notes of inquiry. The new DVD on the post war ESSEXs is like no other in my 53 volumes so far because this class of ship is by far my dearest favorite ship type of them all of which I have the most info in the libraries. Also, this DVD contains more infor and pics now than found in any ONE book. The 'data pages' are plates that will hold one, two or more photos of a ship section or interest area, and alongside is a HUGE caption area, NOT just ship name and date, but observations, points of note regarding radar fits, AA fits, construction alteration notes, and data pertaining to that section shown. On one plate one would have just the islands, then cropped sections with comments about the assorted radar arrays the view is looking at. Comments are made pertinent to ship modelling...the deck colors, the runway marking, numerals colors, AC on deck, and on and on.
Converting that WWII ESSEX to whatever era? The reference pics and comments are there. I do have a few Data Drawings that show port and starboard line art drawings of some of the ships during careers. I will NOT post hi res pics, but can possibly post several lo res sample piccies if our host will allow.
Its up to 360 images now, not 340-- 75 cents a pic...cant buy those elsewhere any cheaper.
This DVD is all about quality, and the quantity falls into place by itself. There is nothing out there like it. Ray in Canada.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 - 12:57 AM UTC
Mr Bean - Thank you for the additional information, specially the contents of the data file including markings, AC on deck, colors, etc. Great info. Will get a copy on my next order from the Floating Dock, thanks again for answering my query.
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 04:52 AM UTC
Thanks for that, and when you get yours, I will welcome your comments.
I ask for CONSTRUCTIVE criticsms, all the time...corrections can be made and I never was any kind of self proclaimed expert on these at all, so your point of view and observations are welcome. I hope its Money well spent. RDB in Canada
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 12:50 PM UTC
FYI.... all 54 titles DVDs are available from myself direct, at [email protected]
..but I dont take credit cards....

White Ensign Models in the UK carries the line, at their own pricing and shipping policies, as does
Floating Drydock in the USA, at their own independant pricing and shipping.

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 - 03:45 PM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

I have added 10 "sample" images to my news story from the DVD/CD that have been kindly supplied by Mr. Ray Bean of Still Motions Photographics.

A special thanks to Ray Bean.

Check them out they are a great insight into the quality product produced by Still Motions Photographics.

Cheers

Sean
 _GOTOTOP