_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
MSW Scuttlebutt
05/07/09
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 12:59 AM UTC

Welcome to MSW’s Scuttlebutt! Here’s the news for the day.

World War 1 Naval Combat

Today’s website is World War 1 Naval Combat. This site is mainly about the history of surface warship warfare between the Imperial German Navy and the British Royal Navy. Enjoy.
Website

This Day in U.S. Naval History

1779 - Continental Navy sloop Providence captures British brig Diligent off Cape Charles.
1934 - USS Constitution completes tour of principal U.S. ports
1940 - FDR orders Pacific Fleet to remain in Hawaiian waters indefinitely.
1942 - Carrier aircraft sink Japanese carrier Shoho during Battle of Coral Sea.

CNO Visits China, International Fleet Review
Source: US Navy

QINGDAO, China --- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Gary Roughead, visited China April 16-22. The purpose of CNO's visit was to foster the navy-to-navy and overall military-to-military relationships between the two nations and explore possible areas for enhanced cooperation.

Roughead met with his counterpart, Adm. Wu Sheng Li, commander-in-chief of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, attended China's International Fleet Review and toured PLA Navy ships.

CNO said that visits like this are imperative to building global maritime partnerships, an essential piece of the maritime strategy.

"I believe that opportunities like this for our navies to come together to talk about things that navies talk about, to be able to advance our military-to-military relationship and the context of a broader and comprehensive U.S.-China relationship is very important. It's a pleasure to be here. It's a pleasure to be back in China," Roughead said.

CNO said his discussions with Wu included ways that the U.S. Navy and PLA Navy can work cooperatively in the future. He noted that the PLA Navy's involvement in counter-piracy efforts in the Gulf of Aden is an example of the increased security cooperation between the two navies.

"I think that our day-to-day operations in the vicinity of Somalia are a tremendous confidence building measure, and I would say they go beyond a confidence building measure. Today our two forces are operating there," Roughead said. "I'm a great proponent of cooperative endeavors in humanitarian assistance and how we might be able to work together in some combined and even multilateral humanitarian assistance operations such as the ones that my Navy leads."

USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) participated in the International Fleet Review along with more than 40 naval vessels. U.S. 7th Fleet Commander, Vice Adm. John Bird also attended the review marking the 60th anniversary of the founding of China's PLA Navy.

Abu Dhabi: DCNS Expertise to Counter Piracy
Source: DCNS

At the Naval Security & Offshore Patrol Vessels Middle East 2009 conference held in Abu Dhabi, in the United Arab Emirates, on 21 and 22 April, DCNS presented key products for countering piracy and securing sea lanes.

International experts gathered in Abu Dhabi to share information and explore solutions to combat the growing and highly mobile threat of piracy.
DCNS presented the Gowind family of OPVs and corvettes. With displacements ranging from 1,000 to 2,500 tonnes, these vessels offer the capabilities needed to meet emerging threats.

Gowind OPVs and corvettes combine innovations to optimise ship-based naval, commando and coast guard operations, including the covert deployment of fast commando boats in less than 5 minutes, optimisation of helicopter and UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle) operations, dedicated mission planning area and inherent flexibility.

The Gowind family also benefits from DCNS's vast experience in IT and command information systems, including the Matrics MAritime TRaffic Intelligence & Control of the Sea system. Matrics radically improves maritime surveillance by automatically detecting suspicious behaviour by ships and craft using networked vessels and shore-based control centres.

The Gowind family offer navies state-of-the-art resources meeting emerging mission requirements from counter-piracy to sea control and denial. These capable surface combatants are ideal for counter-terrorism, drug interdiction and anti-smuggling operations, the protection of oil and gas platforms, search & rescue, fisheries and environmental policing and humanitarian support.

Photo of the Day

Famed World War I British battleship Dreadnought.

Gator
 _GOTOTOP