_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Cheap and Easy Carrier drain
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 03:15 PM UTC
I thought this was a pretty good idea. I've been looking for a way to create aircraft carrier drain holes easily. I've tried the Lion Roar stuff and it was way to stiff and hard to cut for my taste. DanK's method he used on his Hiryu(thanks Dan!) was alot better. You cut peices of styrene and glue them in spaces to the side of the deck then glue a long strip of styrene to the top of these. I used this on my Chuyo and it looked really good, however it is very time consuming and you can easily mess up if you are not careful(bad modeling skills on my part).

Tonight at the LHS I spotted Evergreen Scale Models, Board and Batton #4542 sheet and it got the wheels turning again. I got the sheet home and sanded the smooth sides thickness down a bit then cut off two 1mm strips. I just taped to the deck of a 1:700 scale Akagi and it looked great. The only down side is the thickness of the sheet. I could of sanded it a bit thinner but still this wasn't bad for a 10 min project. Paint will fill in the holes a bit more making then more to scale as well. Best part the cost of the sheet was under $5 which will likely do several dozen carriers in 700 scale and it was very flexable and easy to work with. This is the smallest Board and Batten size Evergreen makes. I'd image the larger sizes would work well for a 1:350 carrier.

I have a photo but I'm not sure how to upload it here.
 _GOTOTOP