_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
IJN, Need help picking a starter model.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 04:09 PM UTC
Group;

I have been working away on my USS Arizona / Revell 1/426 Kit. This is the first time I have used PE and I'm moving right along. It has been a great learning experince and still hope with the help of my wife, to post some photos when done. With work and all, I should have it done in a few weeks.

I'm looking for my next kit and have been doing some research and I must say that IJN ships are very impresive and have such elagant lines. I real form of art for that time period.

I would like some help from the group on a IJN ship that would be a good starter kit. I would also like to start a build collection of them. I would like something just to get started and go on to a more advanced one. What are good OOB builds and what are ones that are good builds that need PE? I'm seeking a waterline kit from 1/700 or 1/350.

Thanks for all your help.

Sam
herrmill
Visit this Community
Zhejiang, China / 简体
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 10:00 PM UTC
If you enjoy working with photo etch, Hasagawa's 1/350 Akagi would be an excellent subject to tackle.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 12:44 AM UTC
There are so many nice IJN subjects right now. Some of the older kits in 1/700 scale are pretty basic in their details. However the newer issues are very nice. Some come with both full hull and waterline versions.

In this area I would suggest any of the Hasegawa kits full hull editions, like Ise, or maybe the 3 deck Akagi. There are also come cruisers and other battleships in that series as well. Some of those kits come with PE, where as other have after market PE available.

For a 350 ship, I agree Akagi sure is a PE user’s dream/nightmare. The new Mogami is a beautiful kit and there are a couple companies working on PE for her.

I do agree some of the IJN ships built have very nice lines.

_GOTOTOP