_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Help getting a USS Lake Champlain
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 07:53 AM UTC
I would like to build the USS Lake Champlain, but the problem I'm running into is that I can't find anybody that makes the Champlain.

The reason why I want the Champlain is because I want to build a diorama for my father-in-law. He served on the ship during the Gemini 5 mission. He was a corpmen so he got the meet the 2 astronauts. That is some of his fondest memories in the Navy. So I would like to make a diorama with the Lake Champlain and the Gemini capsule.

I know that the Champlain was an Essex class carrier, but I also know that before the Gemini mission the Lake Champlain underwent some modifcations. So I guess my question is what can I do to get a Lake Champlain model? Am I going to have to buy a Essex and do alot of work to it, or is there another sultions.

any help would be great
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 08:45 AM UTC
Your best bet is going to be the old Revell kits (from the 60's or 70's ?) that were modernized Essex class kits that would be approriate for that time frame. They were around 1/550 in scale. I know that they made a Lexington, Wasp, and Hornet but am not sure about a Lake Champlain. I cannot recall exactly, but some of them even came with a Gemini or Apollo capsule too. They are long out of production, but can sometimes be found on e-bay or other nostalgic kit websites. If you find one, Gold Medal Models does make a photo-etch set in that scale for railing and radars.

If this is not a viable option there are 1/700 and new 1/350 Essex class carriers in there WWII outfit. They will require significant modification and replacing the airwing. I have heard that Nautilus Models is working on a resin conversion and airwing for the new 1/350 kits, but that may be a ways off.

Good Luck,
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
Ok thanks. I will look on ebay and see what I can find. If I can find one that comes with a Gemini Capsule that would br great. That would mean I could save sometime, since i thought I would have to scratchbuild it. well anyways thanks
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 09:22 AM UTC
I think you're going to have to modify an Essex class. The thing is there were two Essex class, short hull and long hull. The Lake Champlain was a long hull. Also it was reconstructed to a CVA then redesignated a CVS. You'll have to get good picutes of what a CVA looked like to modify a model.

I don't know about your father in law but I'll bet he would be pleased with any well made dio, even if it doesn't match his ship exactly.
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 09:50 AM UTC
your right Halfyank he will be happy with a well made dio every if it isn't perfect. But you know I will like for him to say "You know I stood in that same spot and took a leak of the carrier." Or whatever he might think of to say. I think if I can make it as close as possible it would be great.

Ok so I can get a long hull Essex. I think if I can get that, that would take alot of work off right there.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 02:58 PM UTC
The problem is all of the revell Modified Essex class CV's have the slanted flight deck. A modifcation the Lake Champlain never recieved. It's alot of work-believe me I have one in my garage I've been toying with for years-not seriously obviously! You'd have to straighten the flight deck, remove all the sponsoons that went under the slant and basically rebuild the entire port side. The Revell kits also have the "hurricane" bow-totally enclosed. The modified in this way and was opened.
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 04:48 AM UTC
I know that the Lake Champlain didn't undergo the angled deck modifcation. It was going to be, but at the least min they didn't decide not to do. proble to costly. So what about the Hasegawa model? That isn't an angled deck. I do know that the hull is longer in the Champlain from '65 than the Essex from WWII (which I believe that is what the Hasegawa model is). Any ideas on how I might increase the length of the hull?
adws
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
Here is what the modifcation done the to Champlain.

Quoted Text

Removal of the side belt armor and replacing it with a hull blister which increased the beam at the waterline to 101 feet.

Removal of the island twin 5-inch turrets and relocation of the new open 5-inch mounts to the starboard side along the edge of the flight deck.

Modifications to the Island which replaced the tripod mast with a single pole mast and redesigned smokestack.

Installation of larger and more powerful elevators.

Replacement of the H-4-1 Hydraulic catapults with H-8 Hydraulic catapults capable of launching aircraft up to 40,000 pounds gross weight.

More powerful bomb and ammunition elevators.

Equipment for the handling of Jet aircraft, including jet blast deflectors behind the catapults.

Increased aviation fuel capacity.

Installation of higher capacity aircraft cranes.

Three ready rooms relocated below the hanger deck.

Installation of an escalator along the starboard side of the island for aircrew to reach the flight deck.

Division of the hanger deck space by two fireproof steel doors.

Ok some of these things I won't have to worry about. Like the ready rooms, and the fuel capacity. The biggest thing I don't know about is the removal of the side belt armor and replacing it with a hull blister which increased the beam at the waterline to 101 feet. And the next biggest thing is what is an island? Sorry I'm not 100% familar with everything on an Aircraft Carrier.
 _GOTOTOP