_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
building modern warships
robby249
Visit this Community
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 115 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 11:25 PM UTC
because i build more tanks and other vehicles i am not home in the world of shipbuilding. now my question is with witch model i best start i would like to build a modern warship but not an aircraft carrier. can someone help me
ONSLOW
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC
Hi Robby,I would suggest the Adacemy kit of the FFG Oliver Hazard Perry,for a first time modern warship build.It has overscale deck-railings but if you feel confident enough,you could replace them with PE .

Good luck with whatever you decided to do,once bitten by the Ship-modelling bug ,you`ll want more!!
All the Best Phil
robby249
Visit this Community
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 115 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
thanks now i have a idee where to start with
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
The term MODERN has many applications, I think you have to go through some books and figure out what TIME frame appeals to you, what decade or era, as now we have many good choices in plastic that were never there years ago.
Perhaps define your area of interest like WWII era which encompasses a huge variety, and post war-----not many plastic kits out there of Korean War era ships, but as you move into the 1980s decade, DRAGON or DML offers outstanding 350th scale AEGIS cruisers, and AEGIS ARLEIGH BURKE class ships. Most of these dont have complicated decks stacked on top of each other, but have a fair bit open deck areas to apply railings leisurely. Although there is the FFG out there, there are SPRUANCE class destroyers with missiles and guns and neat looking masts...and AEGIS Cruisers like MOBILE BAY, and we are talking 350th scale here. I personally find the FFGs profile a slight tad boring and blockish in appearance, but the SPRUCANs are bigger with lots more interesting modeling stuff. And, of course AFTER market Brass PE sets for all of these...
Ray in Canada
 _GOTOTOP