_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
MSW Scuttlebutt
06/17/09
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 01:12 AM UTC

Welcome to MSW’s Scuttlebutt! Here’s the news for the day.

Lake Superior Marine Museum Association

Today’s website is the Lake Superior Marine Museum Association. Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center in Duluth, MN, was founded in 1973 by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The Corps and the Lake Superior Marine Museum Association have developed a fine maritime collection with shipwreck relics, a full-sized replica pilothouse and ship cabins, hardhat diving gear, photographs, charts, marine engines, and numerous ship models. Enjoy.
Website

This Day in U.S. Naval History

1833 - USS Delaware enters drydock at Gosport Navy Yard in Norfolk, Va., the first warship to enter a public drydock in the United States.
1870 - USS Mohican burns Mexican pirate ship Forward.
1898 - Navy Hospital Corps established.
1940 - Chief of Naval Operations asks Congress for money to build two-ocean Navy.

Saab to Upgrade Mine Disposal Vehicles for Swedish Navy
Source: Saab AB

Saab has received an order from FMV, the Swedish Defence Material Administration, for a midlife upgrade of Double Eagle Mk. I mine disposal vehicle systems to Double Eagle Mk. II status.

The order comprises five Double Eagle Mk mine disposal vehicles for the Koster class minehunters, additional upgrade of the onboard systems, training, documentation and optional support program.

“The Swedish Navy once again relies on the Double Eagle system for mine disposal and mine hunting“, says Lars Tossman, Managing Director of Saab Underwater Systems. “This assignment testifies to the long term success and solid operational record of the Double Eagle system in the Swedish Navy. Through the upgrade, the system will achieve an even greater potential by offering a combination of reliability, mission readiness and superior performance.”

The Royal Swedish Navy presently operates Double Eagle Mk. I as mine disposal vehicles for the Koster-class ships and Double Eagle Mk. III Propelled Variable Depth Sonar (PVDS) mine hunting vehicles for the Visby-class and Koster-class ships.

Austal Completes LCS Main Engine Light Off; "Independence" Sea Trials Imminent
Source: Austal

Sea trials of the US Navy’s landmark Austal-designed and built 127-metre Littoral Combat Ship “Independence” (LCS 2) are expected to commence within weeks following the successful light off of the vessel’s main engines.

Austal completed light off of the vessel’s four propulsion engines - two 22,000kW GE LM2500 gas turbines and two MTU 9,100kW 20V 8000 M71 diesels - following the fuel load and the testing of all four generators.

Activation and testing of the combat and other systems onboard “Independence” is continuing at Austal’s US facility in Mobile, Alabama, with delivery of the vessel expected later in the year.

Austal USA President and COO, Joe Rella, commented, “Austal USA continues to establish its rightful place as one of the world’s premium shipbuilders. The successful achievement of this major milestone is another example of Austal’s commitment to the LCS program’s goal of completing sea trials and delivering the LCS 2 to the Navy as quickly as possible.”

Austal is the vessel designer and builder within the General Dynamics team, one of two consortiums involved in the US Navy’s LCS program, which ultimately calls for the construction of 55 Littoral Combat Ships.

The vessel’s GE LM2500 gas turbines each develop 22,000kW (29,500 bhp). More than 750 of these gas turbines power the US Navy’s fleet, making it the standard workhorse engine in almost all US Navy surface combatant ships. In addition, they are installed in more than 400 other ships in 30 countries, including an Austal-designed and built fast ferry operating in Denmark.

Delivering up to 9,100kW (12,200 bhp) of continuous power, the vessel’s MTU Series 8000 diesel engines have a fuel consumption of less than 190g/kWh, while achieving IMO MARPOL NOx emission certification. Austal has previously installed and commissioned 32 MTU 20V 8000 diesels, proven in operation on eight vessels over the past five years. These include four engines in the 127 metre trimaran “Benchijigua Express”, which has been successfully operating in the Canary Islands for over four years. Worldwide, MTU Series 8000 marine propulsion engines have completed more than 240,000 hours of operation.

The 127-metre Austal trimaran seaframe is the platform for the LCS’s mission and weapon systems, providing superior seakeeping and aviation capability as a result of its long, slender central hull and smaller side hulls.

The aluminium trimaran provides a large internal mission deck with a high payload carrying capacity in addition to the increase in seakeeping and propulsion efficiency. Located above the mission bay is the enormous flight deck capable of conducting H-60 helicopter operations and designed to operate the Firescout VTUAV.

The vertical location of the flight deck on the trimaran hull form provides the highest flight deck elevation, out of the waves and sea spray, on a combatant ship other than a major amphibious vessel or aircraft carrier.

Last month, the US Navy announced a fixed price incentive contract for the construction of a second Austal-designed and built Littoral Combat Ship (LCS).

Raytheon Submits KillerBee Unmanned Aircraft System Bid to U.S. Navy
Source: Raytheon Company

TUCSON, Ariz. --- Raytheon Company submitted its KillerBee unmanned aircraft system in response to the U.S. Navy's Small Tactical Unmanned Aircraft Systems and Tier II request for proposal.

The KillerBee UAS features a blended-wing aircraft body design. It also has systems for land or sea launch, recovery and ground control. The unique design of KillerBee enables growth for future payloads and additional mission capabilities.

"KillerBee is the affordable, integrated solution to the U.S. Navy's need for persistent intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance in the littoral environment," said Bob Francois, Raytheon Missiles System's vice president of Advance Missiles and Unmanned Systems.

KillerBee is designed to provide the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force with a UAS for their respective Small Tactical Unmanned Aircraft Systems and Tier II missions. KillerBee has the ability to insert persistent reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition into the battlespace and is ideally suited for force protection in an expeditionary environment.

Photo of the Day

An SH-60F Sea Hawk helicopter assigned to the "Black Knights" of Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron (HS) 4, prepares to land aboard the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76).

Gator
 _GOTOTOP