_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
New Lion Roar Bismarck update!!
RussellT
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 09:00 PM UTC
Anyone know where I can get the new Lion Roar 1/350 Bismarck update for the Revell kit ??
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 02:19 PM UTC
Russell,

To be honest I have not looked, but most of the time Lucky Model has a good selection of Lion Roar sets. Or maybe try Freetime Hobbies.

BTW, welcome to MSW!

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 12:04 AM UTC
LuckyModel has the new Lion Roar super-set for sale as a new arrival, $130 USD, ouch!

no write ups, but seems to include the barrels for main and secondary guns, cranes, ladders, some deck plating, slew of doors, hatches, storage lockers, etc.

[url=http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=LNRLS350009[/url]

I will wait for reviews to see if it is worth the money.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
Last time i check a few minutes ago, luckymodel do have them in stock..the retails is the killing factor for me...

one question, i had the academy bismarck and isit really worth to get all those PE that designed for revell kit?? so far i try to get those Aber barrels and was thinking to get some basic PE i.e railing and some external details.. so far, all of the PE set i found are for revell kit...

anyone can help me??

thanks
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 03:00 AM UTC
Gentlemen!
When considering which PE set to buy one should see the history of the kits and sets in the market. The Academy kit is a knock-off of the Tamyia kit. So everything fitting the Tamiya kit will fit the Academy kit. The Tamiya kit can still hold its own, but of cause was up to date some 20 years ago, while the Revell kit incorporates latest research rersult after her location by Ballard. (This is not saying that the Revell kit does not suffer from cost effective production designing - as ALL injection mould kits do) Anyway, WEM, GMM, and Eduard did decide NOT to change or add to their sets, saying that the sets for the Tamyia Bismarck were "close enough". In one or the other forum report had been issued that the fit is OK for most of the parts, but not all (hangar doors, blukhead detail, and others).
The Lion Roar set is factually the only set that has been developed with the Revell kit sitting next to the designer, plus using the latest literature available. Even though such have been available I have heard of some tiny issues deriving from misinterpretation of photo material. However these issues are in dispute amongst the rivet counters.
Of cause the price is steep, but the material delivered is beyond doubt among the most extensive you can get and -incorporating gun barrels - more complete than others.
BTW Lion Roar will issue a real wood deck set for the Revell Bismarck, too.

Cheers,
Guido
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 06:14 AM UTC
Guido,

thanks for your reply. So let me get this the correct way, if I am going to get PE for my academy kit, it's better and worth to get the eduard set for tamiya instead of the revell kit (I was referring to the eduard bismark railing and turret set for revell)? Basically, I'm not a rivet counter but just wanna have some railing and some details part to the kit....

thanks once again

Zaidi
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hello, Zaidi!
Sorry for my late reply: I mised out on your reply until today.
I have the Lion Roar Bismarck set on my desk now and have to say it is not for the faint of heart. It will require considerable skill to use this set. It is certainly not a "basic set with some rail and detail".
Anyway, if you do have the Academy kit on your workbench I think it'll be wise to stick to the Eduard/WEM/GMM products. All of them were developped for the Tamiya kit hence fitting should be good for the Academy kit. I wouldn't be able to recommend any one of these set before the other: All have their strengths and weaknesses and some require more skill than the other. You should check on the available reviews first to make your decision.
If you want brass barrels for your Bismarck I wholeheartedly recommend to you the fine products and service of BMK!
Have fun!
Cheers,
Guido
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 09:16 PM UTC
Guido,

thanks for the thoughts and answer....
i agree wtih you about those Lionroar set.... looking at several online photos of the set, make me things one must be skillful enough to employ all those 100% parts of the set.

Last weekend i paid LHS a visit and noticed the revell bismarck on the shelf..i opened and examined the parts.... to compare this with academy offering is like heaven and earth.. so now i'm tempting to get this kit after the shop owner told me about the 50% discount i can get on the kit... and now i'm thinking about selling my academy kit ...

thanks for your comments so far....will keep update on my bismarck....
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
Cheers mate!
I'll be watching!
Guido
DeathOfBlades
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 - 05:18 AM UTC
I don't think Academy Models is a knock off. That would be like saying it is in the league with TT Hongli and GHD (I believe). Academy Models is an official modeling company and have done great. I love their new release on the F-22 1/48 and the F-15 Slam Eagle. Although I must agree it is very similar to the Tamiya kit. I don't think Lionroar Bismarck kit is a huge big deal. Judging the way on how much the Yamato's kit is over 150.00! I am working on a 1/350 Yamato and it is very horribly hard and time consuming. Just a tip for beginners, If you are starting a kit and just want to go pro please do NOT. Just get a simple 1/350 I'd start with a nice price of a Tamiya on eBay and get some WEM or Eduard PE. And then experiment get some experience and a feel to PE. Also for best detail you will need an Airbrush. Sure it is expensive and you need the compressor with it but if you plan on being a modeler you will need to get one eventually. Airbrushes save you paints and money. Instead of buying those sprays all the time or seeing those hideous brush strokes. Also you can do hull plating detail with an airbrush. Just paint the whole ship with dull red and then spray down with straight lines with an IJN Kure arsenal color to give it a hull plate look. hope this helps.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Friday, September 25, 2009 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway, WEM, GMM, and Eduard did decide NOT to change or add to their sets, saying that the sets for the Tamyia Bismarck were "close enough". In one or the other forum report had been issued that the fit is OK for most of the parts, but not all (hangar doors, blukhead detail, and others).
The Lion Roar set is factually the only set that has been developed with the Revell kit sitting next to the designer, plus using the latest literature available. Even though such have been available I have heard of some tiny issues deriving from misinterpretation of photo material. However these issues are in dispute amongst the rivet counters.

I'm not sure that's right in regards to the Eduard sets. i have both of the ones for the Revell kit and they appear to be new and not rehashes of their older sets for the Tamiya kit. They also are very well thought out.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think Academy Models is a knock off. That would be like saying it is in the league with TT Hongli and GHD (I believe). Academy Models is an official modeling company and have done great. I love their new release on the F-22 1/48 and the F-15 Slam Eagle. Although I must agree it is very similar to the Tamiya kit. I don't think Lionroar Bismarck kit is a huge big deal. Judging the way on how much the Yamato's kit is over 150.00! I am working on a 1/350 Yamato and it is very horribly hard and time consuming. Just a tip for beginners, If you are starting a kit and just want to go pro please do NOT. Just get a simple 1/350 I'd start with a nice price of a Tamiya on eBay and get some WEM or Eduard PE. And then experiment get some experience and a feel to PE. Also for best detail you will need an Airbrush. Sure it is expensive and you need the compressor with it but if you plan on being a modeler you will need to get one eventually. Airbrushes save you paints and money. Instead of buying those sprays all the time or seeing those hideous brush strokes. Also you can do hull plating detail with an airbrush. Just paint the whole ship with dull red and then spray down with straight lines with an IJN Kure arsenal color to give it a hull plate look. hope this helps.

Hi, there!
Of cause Academy is TODAY a well respected company that makes good on their own. However in case of the Bismarck and a few other ship kits they ARE knock offs. If you have the Tamiya kit and the Academy kit next to each other the are IDENTICAL down to the sequence of parts numbers and the assembly instrction with one expection: The Academy Bismarck instruction shows the Tamiya Artwork of Tirpitz as a cover. IMHO it can't get any more obvious.
I did that review some 8-9 years ago when the Academy kit entered the market. Of cause ever since then, lots of things have changed and I am a fan of Academy armor. As well, Iam more than happy to see that they have taken on making their own ships, too!
Cheers,
Guido
Tailor
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2009 - 08:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Anyway, WEM, GMM, and Eduard did decide NOT to change or add to their sets, saying that the sets for the Tamyia Bismarck were "close enough". In one or the other forum report had been issued that the fit is OK for most of the parts, but not all (hangar doors, blukhead detail, and others).

I'm not sure that's right in regards to the Eduard sets. i have both of the ones for the Revell kit and they appear to be new and not rehashes of their older sets for the Tamiya kit. They also are very well thought out.

Hi, there!
I deem it possible that they have brought a revised set into the market with the (almost) 2 years after the first arrival of the Revell kit. However, Eduard did not advertise this nor have I ever heard anything the likes on the market. Not even a rumour. ... but who am I to know the whole market.
Did anyone else hear that Eduard had refreshed their set to fit the Revell kit?
Guido
 _GOTOTOP