_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Rat lines.
tigermothtimoth
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 06:45 PM UTC
I am an aircraft modeler who is interested in attempting ship modeling and know next to nothing about it. I found a cheap, elderly Airfix model of HMS Victory; (not sure of the scale). It is complete except for the rat lines, but it has a drawing which I believe shows how they should be trimmed. Does anyone have a suggestion of how I could use this, and describe the technique and material to fabricate new ones. I have some ideas, but perhaps this is something that is well know to experienced ship makers.
I don't know about the quality, accuracy, etc of this model but even if it is suspect in these areas it's really an experimental project for me and any advice would be appreciated by a sixty-two year old newbie.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi Brinker!

What scale (or size) is your Victory model? That will help in choosing the ratline fabrication method.

--Karl
tigermothtimoth
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 21 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 05:43 AM UTC
First of all, I said Airfix when I should have said Revell. There is no scale marked and I believe this would have been one of their early "box scale" models. As near as I can figure the scale is approximately 1:200.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 03:40 PM UTC
I made my own ratlines (I think the proper term is "shrouds) for my 1/96th scale Constitution from rigging thread. I ran the vertical lines first, then carefully superglued horizontal lines across. I said carefully because you cannot afford a drip. The method did have the virtue of making the shrouds "dust proof" without using wax, HMS Victory's website has a pretty good section on it for modellers, you might google her.
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 01:08 AM UTC
We really need Dr Tilley from Finescale and other forums, he is the Golden Age of Sail expert. I worked aboard Mayflower II, a 1957 full scale replica of the ship that brought the English colonists ("pilgrims") to America, and can offer a tiny bit of info:

The Shrouds are the lines that support the masts, the vertical lines. The ratlines are the small, thin, "ladder steps" that are horizontal. Sailors used them as steps ( but never handholds, always grab the heavier shrouds!). They were made off with clove-hitches or similar. Victory was big, but I'm having trouble picturing what she would be in 1:200. If big enough, just do it the old fashioned way - tie very thin thread, and for glue, I'd use PVC white glue (Elemers, Aquadhere, etc.). It dries clear and soaks into string/thread very nicely.

Beeswax (available from craft shops and Mediaval fairs) works well to crush hairs, rub it over the thread/line and it keeps hairs down. Also, some fabric shops sell nice cotton thread that is almost hairless. You just have to examine carefully.

It will be some work, but look great!

I recommend investing in a good ship model book, there are many about square rigers, awesome info.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Although I have no real experience with tallships ,I have to agree with Mr. Grise and the others on advice to you. I would probably make a jig if I were doing the project, and try both methods ...tying each knot, and using the crazy glue...see which one I prefer..
When it comes to a project like you are proposing ...time is secondary of importance to the final product...just my 2 farthings..
 _GOTOTOP