_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
1/350 Zvezda Oscar II finished
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 02:28 AM UTC
This is the first time sharing my work. My modeling interest has until recently been pretty narrow, mostly 1/24 scale sportscars and 1/35 armor. But I always had an interest in submarines and used a gift certificate to pick this kit up about a year and a half ago.

For painting and weathering, I noticed that the anechoic tiles tend to impart a very unique visual appearance on a modern submarine that is very difficult to achieve in 1/350 scale and therefore mostly ignored. So I deciede to use this project as an experiment and I masked off a random "stair step" pattern and sprayed different shades (matt, semi-gloss, and gloss) of black as an attempt to impart that look to varying degrees of success.

Now not everyone will agree that what I've done even captures what we see visually and I'm even one to agree on that. But I thought something should be done to break of the perfect black cylinder that most sub models end up looking like so this was an attempt to impart that look, accurate to the look or not.

After I weathered the model (gray pastels) I sprayed everything flat. I lost some of what I was going for in doing that (naturally the flat clear flattened everything), so if I try this technique again one thing I've learned is that is probably is more important to use different brands of black (not all blacks are the same) than different "tones" as the color contrast is what achieves the effect, not tonal contrast (which is lost when everything is flattened, duh!).

For paints, I simply used Krylon black for the gloss and semi-gloss and "Color Place" for the flat black. It is the color difference between the Color Place and the Krylon that really achieves what I was going for. Naturally the Krylon color difference was non-existent and when flattened lost some of what I was after.

Used the kit supplied decals on top of future to eliminate silvering but they cracked when the flat was put on over them.

I opened up the limber holes.

Anyhow, having never photographed a sub, I struggled with depth-of-field when the sky went overcast the second I stepped outside. So hence the very narrow field of focus on some of the shots.

xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 249 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 04:09 AM UTC
Great Job, I like it! I have always wanted to do build sub but have never gotten around to it.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 05:49 AM UTC
Mike,

Nice looking Oscar!

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 03:28 AM UTC
Very nice build... I like your "different blacks" approach, something I struggled with my one feeble attempt at a modern sub build. Great explanation; will try a variation next time I build a modern sub! Thanks for sharing.... looks very nice overall! Cheers
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
Great work on your sub i really like the streaking on the paint, good work.
woodstock74
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 06:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the positive feed back. I have a couple more "brothers" (Alfa, Kilo, Victor III) in 1/350 waiting to be built and I'll further experiment with that technique.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2009 - 08:21 PM UTC
I think You have pulled it of very nicely - its very hard getting black to look interesting, but I think you have captured the multi coloured surface nicely.

I can echo your remarks about taking photoes of submarines - distance an a good zoom can help getting a better depthcontrol, but its hard (try a 132 cm. Gato )

I am looking forward seeing how you pull the next subs of - a little nitpick, below the surface variation "blooms" instead of "running".

solid work! - wellcome to the world of submarines, you will never get away

Cheers/Jan
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 02:53 PM UTC
Very nice work Mike.
 _GOTOTOP