Attaching a resin sub to a base?
Ragnar2004
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 213 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,
I am now finishing the sanding on my Yankee Modelworks Akula sub. I am now wanting to mount it to a wood base and like the idea used on the box top. The sub mounted on brass pillars on a wood base. So I am wondering how to mount the sub onto the pillars. Is it as simple as drilling two equal spaced holes in the sub hull and glueing two metal rods into the holes and covering the rods with the brass pillars and then the whole works to the base? I hope this makes sense. It is a resin kit as I said and have never mounted anything to a base let alone something with a curved surface. Any help or how to articles would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Walter

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
I donīt know the scale of your kit, but this is a 1:700 sub where I just drilled 2 holes and added some brass tubes.

Its a good thing drilling before you get too far on the finish - as it can be a bit rough on the paint when you hold the boat.

Hope it helps, Cheers/Jan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hello Walter, Depending on the scale and size of your sub, you might want to use just the brass rod like Jan suggested. A small model might be overpowered by large pillars. If you are going to use the pillars, make the rod long enough to insert into the sub and go through the pillars and into the wood base. this will give your model a more secure joint to the base. Al
 _GOTOTOP