_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
Which Flower Class PE?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Model Shipwrights: 306 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC
I am interested in the Revell of Germany Flower Class corvettes to augment my 1/72nd Uboat build, but the DJ Parkins array of upgrades is both bewildering and expensive. What are the recommended upgrades to make the kit look good?

I realize that's a subjective judgment, but does one need Parkins complete deck assembly (nearly 90 Pounds Sterling, more than the base kit price)??
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 06:37 PM UTC
I built mine almost straight from the box. Some of the details are a bit thick and clumsy, but it is a 1970s mould! Basic modelling skills can improve it enough without a lot of additional cost. The D J Parkins parts are the best around if you want to go that route though - you can pick and choose though, you don't have to buy everything!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Model Shipwrights: 306 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I built mine almost straight from the box. Some of the details are a bit thick and clumsy, but it is a 1970s mould! Basic modelling skills can improve it enough without a lot of additional cost. The D J Parkins parts are the best around if you want to go that route though - you can pick and choose though, you don't have to buy everything!

Thanks, I suspected as much. The Parkins web site says you basically throw away the entire kit except for the hull and stack. That's not really what I'm looking to do. I don't mind dropping serious $$$$ on upgrades, but I don't want to spend the rest of my days rebuilding the kit entirely.

One problem is his gun platform, for example, keys into HIS deck. Not exactly the Eduard or White Ensign upgrades I'm used to! LOL
 _GOTOTOP