_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Simulating a wooden hull
dmac730
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 06:10 AM UTC
I am beggining to build the ERTL model of a Roman warship. Whats the best way to paint a plastic hull to look like wood?
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi Don!

Here's a technique that's similar to making your own zimmerit panels in armor modeling:

An approach I am working with is creating texture first, then applying paint. Wooden hulls are typically built with planks running lengthwise, so cutting masking tape strips the same length and size of planks, and applying them on the smooth plastic kit hull in an alternating manner so half of each hull side is masked, the other bare will give you a starting point.

Next, take acrylic tube paint (the color shouldn't matter) and a coarse bristle paint brush and apply the gel-like paint along the bare plastic in a thin layer that will leave a tiny, irregular ridge pattern running the length of the 'plank' you have just painted. Before the paint planks dry, carefully remove the other tape planks. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly.

Then, take more of the masking tape and cover over the now painted planks to expose rest of the plastic hull and repeat the process with the acrylic paint, removing the masks before the paint dries. When everything dries, you should now have a plastic hull with textured planks on it. Some fine sanding may be necessary and then model paint can be applied.

--Karl
dmac730
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the great help. I guess my question should have been what is the right color/weathering technique for a wood hull?
rokket2001
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 331 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 04:44 PM UTC
Karl, great idea, I hope to use it one day!
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 06:14 AM UTC
@Don:

Sorry, totally misunderstood your question. Get a copy of the Kalmbach "Building Plastic Ship Models". There are some basic, but useful, techniques in there about getting a good finish on hulls. Also, I use basswood ply cut into strips for decking--nothing simulates unpainted wood better than unpainted wood.

@Wink:

Yep, being a scratchbuilder as well, I want to expand the scope of ship modeling subjects to include vessels from the wooden era in larger scales like 1:96. Plank-on-frame and other all-wood construction techniques just don't work well for me and are horribly expensive compared to sheet styrene. So, I will take my plastic shipbuilding techniques and aim them at frigates and screw sloops in the near future. If this method works, then accurate dioramas from the age of Fighting Sail and the American Civil War are feasible.

--Karl
 _GOTOTOP