_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Ships & Boats the New York State Fair
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Model Shipwrights: 185 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 02:53 PM UTC
My family & I just returned from a trip to The Great New York State Fair here in Syarcuse, NY. Among all of the things that the State Fair is known for (cows, horses, rides, food, the Butter Sculpture, etc.) is the Sand Sculpture. Every year it's something new, and the artists build iit right before your eyes for the entire duration of the Fair.

So why am I posting this on a ship modeling board? Well, this year, the Sand Sculpture was something that fits in nicely with ship modeling, and is near & dear in the hearts of all New Yorkers. The main object of the Sand Sculpture in the USS New York (LPD-21). The actual ship is scheduled for commissioning on 4 NOV 09.

Ladies & gentlemen, the Sand Sculpture of the USS New York (LPD-21) from The Great New York State Fair:

Ships Crest (Never Forget)

Twin Towers & US Flag

Also of interest at The Fair was a small bouy boat used in the Eire Canal, BB 115. From talking to the guys from the Canal Department, this boat is still in use.

I hope you enjoyed them. I want to say that I had nothing to do with the creation of the Sand Sculpture. The credit goes entirely to the artists.

Jim
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2009 - 04:04 PM UTC
Pretty cool sand sculpture. Thanks for sharing.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2009 - 01:42 AM UTC
Those are very nice. Thanks for sharing those with us!

_GOTOTOP