_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
MSW Scuttlebutt
09/10/09
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC

Welcome to MSW’s Scuttlebutt! Here’s the news for the day.

Navy Word of the Day
Continuing on with your Naval education we bring you another installment of MSW’s Navy Word of the Day.
Navy Word of the Day

Brazilian Submarines: DCNS Passes Major Milestone Towards One of the Group’s Biggest Contracts Ever
Source: DCNS

On 3 September 2009, DCNS signed detailed contracts in Rio de Janeiro for the construction of four conventional-propulsion submarines for the Brazilian Navy and a vast technology transfer programme covering design assistance - under the Brazilian Navy's design authority - with the non-nuclear portion of Brazil's first nuclear-powered submarine and assistance with the design and construction of both a naval base and a naval shipyard.

This success follows the signing of a framework contract on 23 December 2008 under the strategic defence cooperation agreement between France and Brazil signed on the same day by Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

"Brazil chose DCNS to supply state-of-the-art submarines tailored to the protection and defence of the country's 8,500-kilometre coast," said Admiral Júlio Soares de Moura Neto, Commander in Chief of the Brazilian Navy. "These vessels will feature advanced technologies and innovations developed in recent years for French Navy programmes, particularly with regard to hydrodynamics, acoustic discretion, automation and combat systems. They will also be designed for ease of maintenance, the key to improved operational availability."

The submarines will be built by Itaguaí Construções Navais, a joint venture set up by DCNS and Brazilian partner Odebrecht in late August. The joint venture has an initial capital of 10 million reals and will be responsible for management control. Odebrecht has a 59% interest and DCNS the remaining 41%. Through Itaguaí Construções Navais, the programme will provide employment for over 700 people in Brazil over a period of 15 years.

DCNS Chairman & CEO Patrick Boissier said: "We are proud that Brazil's highest authorities have chosen DCNS to modernise and renew their country's submarine fleet. I am aware of the responsibilities that this entails and have no doubt that each DCNS team will do its share to ensure the complete success of this ambitious project. The contracts signed today confirm our technological standing on the world market and the wisdom of our international strategy focusing on engineering services, new construction work, and the operation and maintenance of defence facilities."

More specifically:

-- The four conventional-propulsion submarines to be built by Itaguaí Construções Navais in cooperation with DCNS which will act as design authority and prime contractor. DCNS plants and shipyards will supply a range of advanced-technology items.

-- A local production and technology transfer programme will enable the Brazilian Navy and defence industry to contribute to the development and production of a range of systems and equipment.

-- DCNS will provide design assistance - under the Brazilian Navy's design authority - for the non-nuclear portion of Brazil's first nuclear-powered submarine which will also be built by Itaguaí Construções Navais.

-- DCNS will provide prime contractor assistance to Odebrecht for the construction of the naval shipyard that will build the five submarines covered by today's contracts as well as a naval base for the Brazilian Navy.

The Brazilian conventional-propulsion submarines will be designed for all types of missions from anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare to special operations and intelligence gathering. The first one is scheduled to enter active service in 2017.

Shipbuilding work will begin in a few months' time.

Atlas Elektronik Modernizes German Minehunters Of Class 332
Source: Atlas Elektronik

BREMEN, Germany --- Atlas Elektronik will give five minehunting vessels of the German Navy’s “MJ 332” Class an extensive upgrade. The corresponding contract was signed with the Peene-Werft shipyard as the prime contractor.

Atlas Elektronik will replace the old Pinguin B3 mine disposal system with the modern SeaFox suite. The MJ 332 vessels will each be equipped with six “SeaFox I” remotely operated vehicles and 24 storage racks for the “SeaFox C”. Together with the necessary software, an advanced mine warfare system including advanced sonar signal and data processing will also be installed: the Integrated Mine Countermeasures System (IMCMS), comprising four multifunction consoles and the associated electronic rack.

The SeaFox system is based on the one-shot “expendable mine disposal vehicle” principle for neutralizing sea mines. This approach accelerates the mine destruction process considerably. The unmanned underwater vehicles are used to identify and destroy tethered mines and proud ground mines.

Identification is performed by the reusable “SeaFox I” vehicle, after which the “SeaFox C” combat vehicle neutralizes the mine with its integrated warhead. Communication between the command console and the SeaFox sensors takes place through a thin fibre-optic cable. After being processed in the electronic rack, the information is passed to the multifunction console, where it is displayed.

Afghanistan-bound HMLA-367 to Bring New Huey to the Fight
Source: US Marine Corps

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. --- Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 367 “Scarface” wrapped up their final week of Enhanced Mojave Viper Aug. 26 as they prepare to take the Bell UH-1Y “Yankee,” an updated version of the Huey helicopters, to the fight.

Scarface will be the first squadron to utilize the Yankee while conducting combat operations in support of the ground combat element and other coalition forces in Operation Enduring Freedom-Afghanistan.

HMLA-367 is training as a squadron at EMV, a combined training exercise that incorporates the close air support and ground combat element as they simultaneously prepare for deployment. Scarface aims to be expeditionary, improve their field maintenance capabilities and be able to operate in conditions and scenarios much like those they may face in Afghanistan.

“Twentynine Palms mirrors the terrain where we are going to fight, which is great,” said Lt. Col. Michael J. Borgschulte, commanding officer, HMLA-367. “EMV has been the best training opportunity we’ve had to date. It has allowed us to train with the combat element we are going to conduct operations with in Afghanistan,” he said.

This is important because the training will allow them to develop essential personal relationships and improve their chances for success during their deployment, said Borgschulte, a Springfield, MO native.

“I am extremely confident in my Marines. Our squadron has a lot of combat experience,” said Borgschulte. “This squadron’s combat readiness is higher than any squadron I have been in.”

With this elevated combat readiness and the combined assault of the new Yankee and the AH-1W Cobra, Scarface is ready to be unleashed in Afghanistan.

The UH-1 Yankee is the most significant upgrade made to the older, battle-proven UH-1N “Huey.” The Yankee is equipped with a modified four-blade, all-composite rotor and has upgraded engines and transmissions to give it increased payload and performance capabilities.

“The guns on it are actually the same, but we can carry a lot more ammunition, stay there longer, shoot more and then provide other roles,” said Cpl. Michael J. Eklund, a UH-1 crew chief with HMLA-367. The UH-1N was capable of providing close air support and little else while the Yankee brings close air support, small team insertion and extraction, casualty evacuation, and much more to the fight.

“The increased payload is going to be the biggest advantage of the Yankee over the older Huey, said Capt. Curtis W. Rose, a UH-1Y and UH-1N pilot with HMLA-367.” The increase in speed is another advantage Rose was pleased with. “We are no longer the weak sister to the Cobra; we can keep up,” said Rose, from Fredericksburg, Va. “We can sometimes fly faster than they can.”

The Yankee crew is also happy with the increased visibility and situational awareness the aircraft provides. “Unlike our other helicopters the Yankee doesn’t have blind spots,” said Eklund, 26, from Pleasanton, Calif. “My weapon can shoot anywhere from off the nose to behind us.”

The Yankee also sports the Brite Star Block II forward looking infrared system, which is the latest generation in targeting,” Borgschulte said.

The system will allow the pilots to view and mark targets with infrared sightings further out and aid in instant target recognition by pilots and crew chiefs. “The Brite Star Block II is a force multiplier that will increase situational awareness among crew members and more accurately correlate targets,” said Rose.

The Yankee’s increased ability and resources coupled with the firepower of the AH-1W, prepares the leathernecks of Scarface to deploy to Afghanistan this fall with unprecedented combat effectiveness.

“The enemy needs to realize that not only are we going to be able to accomplish missions like we always have, but we are going to keep doing it for much longer and bring a much harder fight to them,” said Eklund. “We are going to be a lot quicker, faster and be carrying a lot more ammo to do it.”

HMS Warrior

Today’s website is the HMS Warrior. As you arrive at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, the stunning sleek, black lines of Britain's first iron-hulled, armoured battleship, take your breath away. The pride of Queen Victoria, Warrior revolutionised warship construction. Powered by steam and sail, she was the largest and fastest ship of her day. Her most radical innovation was her citadel - an armoured box housing her guns. Enjoy.
Website

This Day in U.S. Naval History

1813 - In the Battle of Lake Erie, Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, flying his "Don't give up the ship" flag, defeats British squadron and says: "We have met the enemy, and they are ours..."
1925 - Submarine R-4 (SS 81) rescues crew of PN-9 plane 10 miles from their destination of Hawaii.
1945 - Carrier Midway (CVB 42) commissioned.
1961 - World's first nuclear-powered guided-missile cruiser, Long Beach (CGN 9) is commissioned

Photo of the Day

HMS Warrior at anchor.

Gator
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hello Ken,
I did not know that the USS George Washington had sails to help propel her along.

Great photo of the HMS Warrior and thanks for the link to the home page.
Cheers,
Bruce
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 01:16 AM UTC
Sorry about that.
 _GOTOTOP