_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Update~Flyhawk's NEW Kongo set
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

Flyhawk have called by the news desk and kindly supplied us the new images on their latest release.

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean
Dr_Who2
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 90 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
Shiney little metal sheets and sure desirable. The bridge structure is missing some railing yet. Also, I could not spot the second Type 13 Radar on the bridge structure. Combinedfleet TROM sais two Type 13 were fitted, one behind the smoke stack (comes with FlyHawk) and one into the bridge structure (not sure where but not in the pictures). The flight deck is missing the railing too. Do not get me wrong, what is provided looks superb. If they add what is yet missing into the final product, that would make it about perfect. Stunning work by Flyhawk!
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 09:34 AM UTC
Liebe Herr Dariush: Could you advise whether a Fujimi Kongo 1941 could be upgraded to a 1944 variant by using what is supplied with the Flyhawk set? Were there structural changes made to the ship in that period of time or was it just loaded up with more AA? Thanx, Stephen
Dr_Who2
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 90 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 - 02:21 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,
First off, what I nice move to adress me in my mother language, Thank you so much indeed.
I am sorry to admit, I do not have the AOSHIMA Kongo in my stash. From my understanding the FlyHawk kit is just for that.
From all I read and observed AOSHIMA and FUJIMI Kongo differ in dimension at least hull wise. It is a wild guess, but I feel the dimension of the super structure might not fit as well. For this, I assume the FlyHawk set might not be as much of a perfect match for the Fujimi Kongo, no matter 1941 or 44. In fact I am not even aware Fujimi has done a 1941 configuration.

However, the 2nd and last major reconstruction of the Kongo was finished 1937.
This drawing should explain the changes made then:

In early 1941 armor was added to the barbettes. In autumn 1941 the degaussing cable was added as well. Everything else would be more and renewed AA armament partly replacing the position of the search lights on their platform and various radar equipment .

From this perspective, the FlyHawk kit could turn a 1941 Kongo into a 1944 Kongo if you consider getting all those extras needed. In fact, I guess one needs to replace the whole AA armament of a 1941 version.

Hope this helps some and best wishes
 _GOTOTOP