_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Aoshima Soryu Update
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 02:45 PM UTC
Ahoy, ye maties!

The news desk is always hunting and gathering the breaking kitset and accessories news from all around the world.

Here is the latest and greatest details on the new release from Aoshima

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hello all,
Is it just me or is all of Aoshima 1/700 kits are very, very, very basic kits. I have been doing the HMS Ark Royal and every thing is, To me, looks like a piece of junk. I know I can get all of the AM and PE parts, But why spend extra to put nicer items on my build. The AA Guns are just a small T shaped plastic and most of the other parts are just as bad.
I know that for the price you are not getting a Premium kit like the Bismark, But it seems that they could make the parts a little nicer, What do any of you think?
Sean,
Sorry to take over your news thread, But I needed to get this offf my chest and ask what others think about the models Aoshima is putting out.
Cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 12:30 AM UTC
Bruce,

Yes, their older kits are not good. They are just like you say. BUT, the new kits are much improved. If you take a look at other older 1/700 kits they are all fairly simple in both design and detail.

Some companies have taken steps to improve their older kits. Pit Road for example has added frets of PE to help with some of the lacking detail, ie the Mutsuki I reviewed and am building. Others are retooling their older kits and really making improvements. Others are coming out with totally new kits.

From the new 1/350 kits right down to the 1/700, they are improving. I have this kit on Pre-order, so when it comes in later this year I will be sure to fire off an in-box for everyone.

Quincy
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
Aoshima's new kits are excellent IMHO. There old stuff is not so good. Very bland basic stuff with innaccuracies. Now, if you compare there old stuff with the new Lindberg I-Boat kits. The old stuff would come shining through.

Bob Pink.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
If the tooling is on the same quality as their newtooled Hiryu, then this will be a great, highly detailed kit.
Now if I can just wait for October!
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 - 12:16 PM UTC
Hello All,
Thanks for the info. I will wait for the newer 1/700 ships before I buy anymore. I have been trying to go to 1/700 for ships and 1/48 for Armor and Aircraft.
Thanks again,
Cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP