_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Question re: USS Gato SS-212 Paint Scheme
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 05:31 AM UTC
G'day all
Just a quick question that i am hoping some knowledgable person will be able to answer.
I recently bought the Hobby Boss 1/700 USS Gato SS-212 "1944", and on the box art, and instructions, it depicts it in a rather nice 3 or 4 tone paint scheme.
I have had a fairly good look around google to try and show you what i speak of, however can't find anything larger than thumbnails.

So the question is, the paint scheme i am talking about, is it accurate for the time frame or is it a bit of artistic license? Most pictures i see of the Gato class show them in the usual dark greys, but i am hoping someone is going to be able to shed some light on this particular paint scheme for me.

Cheers
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hey David,

Here she is in 1944.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0821236.jpg

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/images/gato300.jpg
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
Ta Kenny!
So i think its safe for us to assume she was grey, along with the sky, and the ocean of the time
Nah unless my eyes are playing tricks theres definitely a change in tone where the paint colours change on the box art, so i guess thats a green light to start painting!
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
Yes, she was a multi-color boat.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC
May I make a small suggestion David?

Contact a member here named Bob Cicconi. He built a model of the USS ICEFISH for me in a similar scheme to what I THINK you want, ... he might be able to give you a few words of wisdom.

Garth

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 - 09:07 PM UTC
Too easy guys!
Thanks for that
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 - 04:18 AM UTC
No problem David. But, if you'd email me at [email protected] -- I'll forward you some photos of my ICEFISH.

Garth
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 06:56 AM UTC
G'day David,

Here is the information you need, referenced to our Colourcoats enamels:

There were two Measure 32 schemes that came into official use in June 1944 (they may have been used unofficially a few months earlier). Measure 32/3SS-B was the light-coloured scheme, and Measure 32/9SS was the dark scheme. Here are the painting instructions for the Measure 32 schemes:

Measure 32/3SS-B: Paint the deck glossy black (Colourcoats ACS 04), stopping two feet short of the edges. All other horizontal and sloping surfaces paint BK Dull Black (Colourcoats C 02). The vertical surfaces were painted #27 Haze Gray (Colourcoats US 28). The edges on curved surfaces between the Dull Black and Haze Gray were feathered (blended). Just aft of the conning tower, the Haze Gray blended into #17 Ocean Gray (Colourcoats US 31), which in turn blended into the BK Dull Black stern section. The undersides of any overhanging surfaces were painted 5-U White (Colourcoats C 03). The forward, rounded portion of the conning tower and periscope shears were painted #17 Ocean Gray. The deck guns were painted BK Dull Black on the upper half of the barrels and #46 Outside Gray (Colourcoats US 32) on the lower half of the barrels.

Measure 32/9SS: The instructions were the same as for Ms.32/3SS-B, except that #17 Ocean Gray (Colourcoats US 31) was used on the vertical surfaces instead of #27 Haze Gray. Just before the forward deck gun, the #17 Ocean Gray was blended into #11 Outside Gray (Colourcoats US 34). Aft of the conning tower the #11 Outside Gray was blended into #7 Navy Gray (Colourcoats US 35), and this was blended into BK Dull Black at the stern. Both the forward and aft rounded ends of the conning tower were painted #7 Navy Gray, blended into #17 Ocean Gray on the conning tower sides.

Some US submarines remained painted in Measure 9, the all-black scheme that came into use in September 1941. For this, paint the entire submarine above the waterline Dull Black (Colourcoats C 02). The painting shall be carried over all parts which are visible from the air including the numbers, capstan, running light boards and bridge rails. Radio insulators shall be dark. There shall be no boot topping. The underbody shall be painted with current issues of black antifouling paints (use Colourcoats ACS 04).
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 03:40 AM UTC
Ta for that John
Garth actually sent me the official Navy orders and instructions for the paint schemes, explaining precisely what you just said, i am just wondering though with the white coloured "ceilings" of the overhangs, at 1/700 scale will this detract from the overall look, by this i mean, will they stand out too much at such a small scale?
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 02:59 AM UTC
Glad I was helpful David. But, I was just the messenger ... Tracy White deserves the credit.

Garth
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2009 - 01:55 PM UTC
Well then to Tracy White, if you can see this, you have my thanks! As i said to you Garth, that document is a must if you are planning on building a sub from said period and theatre of the war.
 _GOTOTOP