_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Bronco Models HMS Vanguard
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 02:17 AM UTC
MSW Crew-mate Rodger Cole (halfyank) gives us a full build review of Bronco Models new 1/350 scale RN Submarine, HMS Vanguard!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
Hi Rodger

Good built review (even with all the mishaps).
It turned out a proud HMS Vanguard
Congratulations
Rui
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:41 AM UTC
Very nice review; glad to read all the build details, will make it easier when someone else tackles the kit

Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
I recieved a very nice PM from drookit about the "real" HMS Vanguard. Here is what he writes.

" i read your review of the new Bronco kit and would like to thank you for your article ,very interesting. I noted that you had some doubts over the colours for the boat. I can confirm that the colours that the boat is finished in are incorrect. Just last week I was very fotunate to have been able to see the real thing in full out of the water inside the high security ship lift facility at The Clyde Navy Base. My son is currently serving on a V boat and as is normal practice he is permitted to show family/friends around his boat. (Good for moral as it makes it easier for family to understand their loved ones role and living conditions-good PR). Having been on board before I have made mental notes of some details to help build an accurate model however to get the opportunity to see a V boat out of the water was a chance not to be missed. Firstly the colour....they are a single colour ALL over, this colour being Anthracite (heavily weathered) Unlike USN boats RN boats are covered in rubber tiles to reduce noise signature, these tiles vary widely in shade but overall give the impression of a very dark, near black, grey matt finish. The rear planes and some of the detail around this area is not correct on the kit but I will attempt to correct on my build and will post photos to compare. Unfortunately there was a strict no cameras rule therefore nothing to show I'm afraid. The kit is a boat depicted early in service and the biggest 'error' with ref to the boats now is the omission of a very pronounced 'slab' on each side inline with the missile tubes . These slabs are visible on recent photos of this class of boat. All four boats differ from each other in minor details as improvements are introduced. Hope you found some of this usefull happy modeling"

I hope this is also usefull to anybody else looking to model this boat.

_GOTOTOP