_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Bases & Water Effects
These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
Has anyone built Emhar 1/72 Viking ship ?
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 - 02:42 AM UTC
I am not quite sure as to why I just brought this on ebay, however, there doesn't seem to be any completed models of this, my obvious question would be, is it bad or people simply can't be bothered with it, I suppose I can look forward to painting plastic that will 'try' and look like wood, and the main sail, plastic which should be cloth, while I can see this model having a ton of good points, it also must have a ton of bad points as to why I can't find a completed model anywhere, HMS Hood, you'll fall over yourself with completed models and people still building it, this Viking ship in 1-72 by Emhar ? There must be one more brave person out there that's actually brought, built and displayed this model - is there ? Look forward to your reply.
emar9001
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 07:34 AM UTC
I haven't seen the Emhar Viking ship, but if it has oval instead of round shields mounted along the gunwhales then it is the old Heller model. Be prepared for aome work. And those oval shields should be replaced with round ones!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 09:44 AM UTC
Hi Al,
It is a new kit not a reissue and one can buy the oarsmen figures as well.

Here is a link with some pics.

http://kit-reviews.blogspot.com/2010/07/emhar-gokstad-viking-ship.html

Cheers,
Joe
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 06:51 PM UTC
Sorry people, but this post is actually 2 years old, the model along with crew was built, finished (not that impressed by the orsmen plastic crew, they painted nicely, but certainly nothing special. The model I took photo's of, broke it up what seem ages ago now, my computer crashed, lost a ton of stuff as well as many photograph files, that was months ago, now nothing except one or two painted Vikings -
Due to the poor fit of the crew, I remember now, I changed my mind and turned this into a sail cargo boat by adding huge barels and wooden boexes with the sail rolled up, I didn't like it at all.
Thanks for the effort. But like I said, this was back in 2009.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 09:23 PM UTC
I built the Revell viking ship a couple of years ago:

Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 10:37 PM UTC
One word for this ''WOW'' a very nice looking ship, love the crew all being a little Lord of the Rings gaze about it, the sail and yeah very nice overall.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 10:46 PM UTC
Yes, guilty Alec. The figures are fantasy wargame tokens I bought about 20 years ago. I decided it was time to let them out of the box
The build was my first experiment with oil washes to get an aged wood effect.
Cheers,
Julian
 _GOTOTOP