_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
company background check
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 - 10:19 AM UTC
can anyone tell me if the company "Sirmar model ship fittings" is still doing business and if they are reputable?
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 01:54 PM UTC
Hi Jim
a quick google search shows their home page:
http://www.sirmarmodelships.com/

But the same google search came up with the following:

"Due to the unreliability of supply, we have finally decided to drop the whole Sirmar range of fittings" - model Dock yard
http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Sirmar_1_48_Scale_Modern_Ships_Fittings.html

From an OLD Forum post:
"Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:03 am • Post subject:

Sorry - re-read my original post and it does look confusing.
In a nutshell, Paul Beckley has run Sirmar model ships for over 20 years, providing semi-kits and scale fittings in metal, brass and resin. Mainly modern and post ww2 fighting ships, the quality of fittings was well known and publicised. Paul's ill health over the past year has finally forced him to sell the business to PS Ships (run by Paul Simpson) who has agreed to continue production fo at least 12 months (and if he's got any sense, for longer) alongside his current range. Just looking at the Sirmar website will give an indication of the dedication and care Paul Beckley has invested in this business over the years. So when I spoke to Paul on the phone some weeks ago, he told me that he had had mostly grumpy and almost aggressive e-mails and calls form traders and modelmakers who would have to wait a month or so while the business switched to PS Ships. Nobody wished him well - he has cancer and the outlook aint pretty - leaving him bitter and dejected. I just thought if anyone here had ever done business with him, a quick call of thanks would do wonders for his state of mind...
"

Not sure if this was of any help.... good luck!
 _GOTOTOP