_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
1/700 IJN Kamoi
DMcGillavry
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 104 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hello,

Decided to try my first scratchbuild project by using 1/700 templates in ModelArt 22 IJN Seaplane Tenders. I think those templates makes things relatively easier but not sure at the moment

I tended to modeling ships after seeing those magnificent works of Mr.Jeff Lin almost a year ago and making this IJN Kamoi was something that I wanted to try when having templates in ModelArt magazine.

However ModelArt templates are different in shape and ( dimensions I guess) with Mr.Lin's built and I do not have any other source about vessel as scale dwgs or plans, so I guess I will follow ModelArt templates. On the other hand, hundreds of details and things are missing in ModelArt's templates and build so Mr.Lin's build will be primary source for fixing up those issues. So all helps, ideas and recommendations are wellcome..

Regards,
Serhan
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC
Hi Serhan

Looks very good!
But (there's always a but, right??) I should advise you to sand away some of the vertical hull details. Since they are supposed to be hull plating, they should be more subtle.

This is one of those ModelArt projects that really teases me! It's nice to see someone who actually have the guts to go for it!
Congratulations and keep up the good work (and keeping us updated on your progresses)!

Rui

PS: I hope that I have not offended you with my critic
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
Very nice start Serhan.
Quincy
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi Serhan :

She looks great so far! How did you make your hull in the first picture? Was it the sandwich method?

Bob Pink.
DMcGillavry
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 104 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hello,

Rui, ok its noted, I will sand down them bit and I did not see or sense any offend in your post. There is a great calm and peace in the force

Kenny thank you. And Bob, yes I glued 4 pieces of plates and sand them until got desired shape. Used dremel rotary tool for removing styren roughly than sanded down to shape, thanks to my right arm.

Regards
Serhan
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I will sand down them bit...

Hold the phone, Serhan!

Check your references first, since lap-plated ships (especially merchantmen and auxiliaries) oftentimes had very prominent laps. Take the Titanic, for example. I'm not saying Rui is necessarily wrong (Hi, Rui!), but look at what your real life subject is telling you before you pick up the sander.

Congratulations on moving into scratchbuilding. You should find it rewarding as it will challenge your model building techniques and give you a fleet no else has. Just remember: there is no such thing as too much reference material. The internet is a godsend on this as even other models can become useful references, as I am finding on my work ups for a 1:350 Kaga.

So, keep an eye on the references and take it one step at a time.

--Karl
Quincy
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hi Serhan:

Thats what I thought. I am new to scratchbuilding myself. At the moment I am working on the IJN Minelayer Shirataka. So far I have the hull started. I will have to add the turtleback tonight and go from there. I can't wait to see your build progress.

Bob Pink.
 _GOTOTOP