_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
a few pics from Exeter XXVIIII
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 - 04:13 AM UTC
Here are some entries of nautical persuasion from the Ajax show yesterday.. I hope you enjoy

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:38 AM UTC
Some great pics, thanks for sharing!

Seems the builder of the Nagato chose to leave the "CAD" lines feature intact, and they got some weathering?

Any opinions on this? I have a running doc with comments on the Nagato "CAD" lines and how to deal with them...... do you think this example is too "dark"? or good enough?

Im not critisizing at all, just asking about the weathering
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 - 11:12 PM UTC
I think that the overall finish is very well executed on Harveys ship. Hes an excellent builder.
I cant really comment on the hull lines because honestly I know nothing about the subject, so most likely, any input I might have would probably be inaccurate.
I just think the finish is great ...its even better "in the flesh" so to speak..
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2009 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi Jim! (another Jim!)

Oh dont get me wrong, it is a great build! Looks gorgeous.... The issue I raised was not about construction, but how the "CAD lines" look.... Hasegawa released the Nagato (and the Mutsu) with raised lines that do not belong there; one hypothesis is that the lines were in the CAD diagram and someone forgot to erase them... therefore, the "CAD lines" monicker. Anyways, the lines are a pain to flush down (time wise) so many modelers chose to build the Nagato with the "CAD lines" still prominent. Not a matter of river counting, more of taste really... I think he left the lines on and weathered them....

And yes, my ultimate motive is to find a good build or technique that will allow me NOT to spend hours sanding the CAD lines down on my own kit

Anyways, thanks again for posting the pics, some really nice and inspiring pieces!
 _GOTOTOP