Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
what colour D-Day LST should be ?
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2009 - 09:09 PM UTC
Hello there, I have established green was 'not' used at Normandy, through B/W photo and some film you'll see these as one colour and even in camo, but what colours would these fantastic craft actually be ? I am looking towards building a small D-Day landing diorama and obviously wanted to get these craft colour-wise as good as I can get, there's nothing worse then someone telling you, great model diorama but the colour is all wrong, so before I begin, I would like to know, the deck and hull colour of these Navy Landing Ship Tanks L.S.T Mk2 - look forward to your reply.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 06:15 AM UTC
About 15 years ago a book came out called "Neptune: Ships of the Normandy Invasion" or some such. It should shed some light on the coloring question.

--Karl
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
NavSource LST photos

Photos of just about every LST built.
More links at bottom of pages.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 01:23 PM UTC
Are you wanting to build a Royal Navy or US Navy LST?

Take a look at this.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2009 - 08:54 PM UTC
Hello there, I could never be 100% spot on with any model I'll attempt to build, I would like to believe it could be close enough though
D-day would have to be American, I know us Brits simply stuck a flag on the front, American nonetheless,so far I have a basic colour which is Ms21 and Ms14 for the LST's, I've already decided to paint the vehicles 2 shades of green, but the hull and deck still a problem, I did check through that huge list of LST's and still searching, thank you all very much for the help so far, please keep it coming.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 10:44 AM UTC
Measure 21 - Navy Blue System

Vertical Surfaces:

Navy Blue 5-N All Vertical surfaces without exception.

Horizontal Surfaces:

Horizontal surfaces, Deck Blue, 20-B.

Wood Decks.

Wood decks except on submarines and carriers shall be darkened to the color Deck Blue. Deck Blue paint shall be used in lieu of stain for this purpose.

Canvas Covers.

Canvas covers visible from the outside vessel are to be dyed a color corresponding to Deck Blue.

Notes:

The camouflage painting need not be exact or carried into corners. Small gear, wires, rigging, and areas permanently in shadow, as under boats, etc., need not be painted with the camouflage colors. There is no objection to exact or careful painting which may be desired for the sake of good appearance at close range.

All bright or shiny objects, no matter how insignificant, shall be painted, covered, or removed.

Glass windows shall be covered or removed, especially during the day in sunny weather, and at night when anticipating searchlight discovery. Insofar as conditions permit, similar precautions shall be taken on airport lenses.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 11:13 AM UTC
lst-=1 004
This is as near as I can get, far from perfect and not bothered about the over-painting as I'll deal with this at a later date.Kenny, that's a lot of info, and thank you very much for your time and effort.
Silly me also paint used - Revell matt-78 all decking and Humbrol matt-27 all hull inc doors, yet to decide on small parts (what colour) also camo, still not sure, although I do have a colour DVD coming that I brought a couple of days ago.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2009 - 01:15 PM UTC
Here's two nice blue ones in Naples.

and a nice camo one at Omaha:
bigal07
Visit this Community