_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Prinz Eugen Photo etch: how to install
Barticus
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 18 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hello all;

I just picked up Trumpeter's 1/350 Prinz Eugen and started basic assembly last night. I would very much like to use the photo etch railings that come with the kit. I am a fairly experienced modeller, but only recently returned to the hobby and have next to no experience with PE, and none with PE railings. They don't appear to have any pins on the bottom, so am I correct in assuming that they get glued directly on the plastic with superglue (and to the 'top' of the hull, and not onto the 'side')? If this is true then I imagine this needs to be done before priming, and since I want to paint my sub-assemblies before final assembly, this is going to require a lot of care and patience.

Just looking for confirmation, and wondering if anyone has any tips on how to make this less painful, and look good too.

PS: the kit has fantastic detail and fit quality, but keep your favourite putty nearby because pin marks are everywhere.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Friday, December 04, 2009 - 01:42 AM UTC

Yes, the Prinz is one heck of a nice kit.

As for the railings, yes they are glued directly to the deck. You can use super glue or another great product, Gator Glue.

Many builders do work on sub assemblies and then add them to the finished hull. Take a look at this feature,
Feature

There are many fellas here who will gladly give you all sorts of help.

Also, make sure you have a good PE bending tool.

And a final note, Welcome to MSW!!!

mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC
Right: Dade's Kongo build log will give you more good advice than you can use! But you will need good tools, too. Tamiya makes a 400-diamond-grit half-round file that is essential for taking off the last bit of fret-link. Their two sets of bending pliers are also super, esp. good for holding little PE bits while you file on them. You will need various good tweezers; I like the ones from Rubis (catalog online but I got mine online from a laboratory equipment supply company). You will not believe how good a really good tweezer can be until you try a professional tool tweezer. No doubt there are other good brands. An illuminated magnifying lens, articulated arm lamp. Lots of X-Acto or Excell tools handles and blades; ditch your blades at the first sign of going dull! Also get savvy about the different characteristics of thick or thin superglue and when is the best situation for using each. Yes!: Gator glue! Totally super. My own little tip: prior to detaching any PE pieces from the fret, lightly sand the entire sheet with some 800-grit wet-or-dry (i.e.; non-shedding) sandpaper - this will improve paint & glue adhesion. Also, before or after this, rinse the PE sheet in alcohol, carb cleaner, acetone, etc. in order to remove any oil residue that might remain from the manufacture.

Good luck! Oh, and if you ever get good at finding little bits lost in the carpet, let me know!

Stephen
 _GOTOTOP