Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
1-700 trees ?
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, December 07, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hello there, a bit of a tough one this, I believe lose cannon or la arsenall actually sell these, but can't find them -
1-700 palm trees - does anyone know where I can buy or how to make these tiny little things, I would rather buy as I have the original two left hands, look forward to your reply.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 04:35 AM UTC
I would still recommend you make your own. Some brass wire wrapped in masking tape or white glue for the trunks. For the prawns, just cut elongated diamond pieces out of Hersey's kiss candy foil for the prawns. Superglue these to the tops of the trunk and after a few minutes bend them to shape and paint. If a few turn out bad that is all the better. Remember there are stunted and damaged trees in nature so imperfection on several will lend to the realism of you diorama. This is what I did in my San Saba diorama on this website.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi Anthony - thank you for the reply, the more I am getting into this scale model lark the more I realise there's a huge market out there for things like palm trees, buildings, vehicles and the like, so its a big surprise that this stuff is so hard to come by, I like the way you've explained how to build a palm tree, I know this must sound terible but I honestly don't know where to start, at lease think about it for a moment before you say 'NO' what's my chances of you doing a step by step on how to build a 1-700 scale palm tree ? Look forward to your reply.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hey Al,

Check White Ensign Models on your side of the pond. They carry L'arsenal products and more than likely have them.

Kenny
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 08:47 AM UTC
Hello Kenny - resin with photoetch palms - are you ready for this ? Just over £6.00 and that's errrr for 2 although the size is 1-350, I shouldn't have thought they'd be that much to worry about, just the price, so maybe, I'll have to make my own how Anthony described I'm glad I was sitting down at the time, over £3.00 each !
Thank you for the link though.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:12 PM UTC
Alec,
Make sure to check over in the Features section of Armorama, mate....there are many great articles on making all types of trees...(as well as a bunch of other great stuff!)
~Gunny
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 - 11:43 PM UTC
Gunny you're a diamond, that's a great link that until now I knew nothing about, love the palm trees, thank you very much.
ajkochev
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 246 posts
Model Shipwrights: 221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
They are pretty easy.

1: Cut the wire in random lengths, leaving a bit extra on the bottom for you to grab and attach to the dio. Roughly bend the wire in the shape you want the trunk.
2: Wrap tape around the wire or coat with a glue that does not shrink too much. Make the base of the tree a bit thicker at the bottom. You can paint now or later.
3: Cut out elongated diamonds in the foil. Glue each one separately to the top of the trunk. Between five and seven usually look good.
4: After the glue has dried take tweezers and gently manipulate each foil prawn to shape. The foil holds its shape well and you can even shape them to take into account wind blowing.
5: Paint the foil prawns. You may need to reshape the foil afterwards.
6: drill a small hole in you dio and fill with glue. Put the extra wire on the bottom of the trunk in the hole.
Tip: A scrap piece of styrofoam can be used to hold the trees in place while you paint and work on them.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 08:26 AM UTC
It seems easy enough, its just a question of getting to grips with them, I'll leave this for a litle while (due to start night shift) but I promise I will come back to it, and I will give it a go, thank you Anthony.
 _GOTOTOP