_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Photo-etch for Fujimi 1/350 Haruna
SaliciousBCrumb
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 03:19 PM UTC
Hi everyone!!,
I'm currently building the Fujimi 1/350 Haruna, and I've been trying to decide which PE pathway to go down for her. I've been looking at Fujimi's own set (but I'm a little bit tentative about it after reading Dade Bell's review of Kongo - awesome build BTW), GMM's generic IJN battleship set, White Ensign's upcoming Kongo set, and Flyhawk's new Kongo set for Fujimi. The Flyhawk set looks great, but I'm concerned about fitting to Haruna (given differences in superstructure, funnels, hull, armaments etc ). Is anybody else building Haruna at the moment? What are your thoughts on PE? Any help would be great
silent-one
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 86 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 01:07 PM UTC
I have this kit in my stash and bought the Fugimi pe. As Dade thought it looks like there have been some improvements in quality since the Kongo. However there are issues. THe standard set doesnt have the emergency rudder or the deck guards for the low caliber AA guns. Other than that. Its ok. Its not great. If the other sets fit the Haruna Id go with that. In fact Id put my set on e bay and buy a new one.
SaliciousBCrumb
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi Allan,
Thanks for the reply I sent Flyhawk an email about their new Kongo set - looks amazing in photos but unfortunately doesn't fit Haruna . However, they said that they have a Haruna specific set under consideration, so hopefully they bring one out soon. I think I'll wait on the Fujimi set from what I'm hearing though - It's almost the same price as Flyhawk's sets and doesn't include anywhere near as much. I've got the hull finished, with decks and basic superstructure dry-fitted, but it looks like I'll have to wait
SLC100
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 05:30 PM UTC
I have the fujimi PE set for the Haruna. As you found out, stuff for the Kongo will not fit the Haruna. The PE set is very extensive and the etchings are very fine. It even has inclined ladders for inside the superstructure that you cannot see after the model is completed. The only problem, and it is a pain, is with the instructions. First, there is no order to the instructions. You jump from one part of the ship to another and then you are referred to a subsection. Second, half of the PE provided is not covered by the instructions. I am not talking little stuff either. Replacement PE for the Pagoda tower supports is not covered, the inclined ladders are not identified and so on. I spent a good two days looking at the PE frets, the PE instructions and the model instructions making notes on what went where.
With that said, it does fit and it really makes the model. I do think it was worth the effort in figuring out the instructions.
Shaun
silent-one
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 86 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 12:58 PM UTC
Since Im not going to be building mine for a while. I think Ill wait and see if there is a Flyhawk set in the future. Then sell my fugimi on e bay. On a kit that expensive second best wont cut it. Im too far in to get out now lol.
 _GOTOTOP