_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Seawolf Class Subs (SSN-21 - 23) questions
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 02:19 PM UTC
He all,

I've had the Trumpeter 1/144 SSN-21 Seawolf seating on the shelf for a few years now and I've finally gotten in the mood to begin work on it. So, I have a couple of quick questions about subs in this class.

Can it be assumed that once the subs (i.e. SSN-21) entered service the numbers on the tower (conning tower?) were removed? I ask this because in looking at one picture of the SSN-21 taken in 2007 I did not see the number 21 painted on as seen when the boat was undergoing sea trials in the 90s. Is this common for these boats? I would like build an semi accurate 'in-service' boat so any feddback on this will be appreciated.

Second question. What are the actual colors on these subs? They look like as though they are painted in two colors (black and hull red) as opposed to three as I've heard in some places. Any info on this?

Sorry if these questions are a bit dumb but I am not much of a ship/sub modeler (build WWII artillery mainly).

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 64 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 05:18 PM UTC
Hi Rob,
Generally speaking, the only time subs have any numbers or markings painted on them other than draft markings is during sea trials. When in service, many boats use detachable numbers with magnets on the back to secure them to the sail in port only. They are removed and stored below when the boat gets underway. Markings around the deck hatches are only present during seatrials. They are used to guide a DSRV into place if the boat sinks. They are removed and stored below when the boat gets underway.
As built the hull above the waterline is generally black and below is hull red. Sometimes the sonar dome appears to be a different
shade of black. Once in service, the boats are repainted topside(above the waterline) on an as needed basis. This can result in a patch work of different shades depending on where the boat operates (hot or cold) and how it is applied. Subs are drydocked about every 4 or 5 years. At that time the hull below the waterline is inspected and painted much like the topside (sometimes the whole thing is done, sometimes only the worst areas. Sometimes it i
s black and sometimes it is hull red. I recommend finding a pictures of a boat you like and using it. It really does vary over time.
Hope this answers your questions,
Rob
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC
Does the Seawolf Class have Anechoic Tiles or sound-abating rubber coating on the hull?
If I remember correctly, it made the hull look duller or flat even painted.
Cob
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC
Yes it does.
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rob,
Generally speaking, the only time subs have any numbers or markings painted on them other than draft markings is during sea trials. When in service, many boats use detachable numbers with magnets on the back to secure them to the sail in port only. They are removed and stored below when the boat gets underway. Markings around the deck hatches are only present during seatrials. They are used to guide a DSRV into place if the boat sinks. They are removed and stored below when the boat gets underway.
As built the hull above the waterline is generally black and below is hull red. Sometimes the sonar dome appears to be a different
shade of black. Once in service, the boats are repainted topside(above the waterline) on an as needed basis. This can result in a patch work of different shades depending on where the boat operates (hot or cold) and how it is applied. Subs are drydocked about every 4 or 5 years. At that time the hull below the waterline is inspected and painted much like the topside (sometimes the whole thing is done, sometimes only the worst areas. Sometimes it i
s black and sometimes it is hull red. I recommend finding a pictures of a boat you like and using it. It really does vary over time.
Hope this answers your questions,
Rob

Thank you very much for the reply, Rob! Very interesting info. I was able to find a few pictures of the SSN-21 currently 'in service' (pics dated 2008/09) and sure enough the markings on the sail are no longer there. Also, I was able to find that, as you stated, all the markings (for hatches, etc - as Trumpeter shows them) are no longer there.

Now, the only thing I still cannot determine is whether the SSN-21 has actually been painted black all around or whether it retained the hull red color. As I was not able to find pictures of the boat in dry-dock to confirming this, I have a question. Would I be safe (generally) if I decide to paint the whole thing black (various shades of black that is)? I even found that some of the boat's masts have been repainted in a shade of black and are no longer using the greenish color with dots as shown in the decals of the kit so I was wondering if this could be possible.

Again, thank you for the help on this!

Rob
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does the Seawolf Class have Anechoic Tiles or sound-abating rubber coating on the hull?If I remember correctly, it made the hull look duller or flat even painted.

From the readings I've been doing online the Seawolf uses a coating of rubber for purposes of keeping sound to a minimum.  The newer Virginia class subs also make use of this, I believe.Rob
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 02:58 PM UTC
Here's one of the only upclosed pictures I've found of the SSN-21 Seawolf. This picture is dated May of 09. It seems the sonar dome has been repainted as are a few of the masts on the sail.

Rob
Cob
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 02:10 AM UTC
I think you'd be safe to paint it all black. I think the decals for the masts are wrong. Generally masts are painted light grey with black "splotches. Photos of a boat with masts and antenna exposed are hard to come by as photograghing them is generally frowned upon.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 02:28 AM UTC
Interesting picture. I wonder who the Admiral was onboard at the time. Whom ever it was they are a 3 star, so he must have been important.

GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting picture. I wonder who the Admiral was onboard at the time. Whom ever it was they are a 3 star, so he must have been important.

Hi Jim,

I believe the caption stated it was the Chief of Naval Operations (Rugthead ?) accompanied by a delegation of Japanese Admirals. They were touring the boat.

Rob
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 04:14 AM UTC
This is a pic of the JMSDF Yushio, coming out of the water. you can see the hull red.

" TARGET="_blank">

Looks cool anyways, good dio idea
 _GOTOTOP